Modernizing a '67 longboard...

I recently bought an old longboard from a guy for just $50. I took the gamble that it appeared genuinely old. It was spray painted and I couldn’t see any logo or date. I lucked out. After sanding all of the external layer of spray paint off, I found no logo or signature, but a 4 digit serial number followed by a date of -67-. I was stoked. It’s a 10’5" glassed on single fin with a concave nose and lots-o-weight. There’s a small hole drilled in the trailing edge of the fin that’s probably for a leash attachment. The board is in decent condition for its age, just lots of discoloration and ding repairs. Totally surfable. MY DILEMA IS: Since I’ll be riding this tanker from time to time in small to medium waves at my fairly populated breaks, I’m thinking of installing a more efficient rear deck-mount leash plug centered on the stringer. I would then fill and sand the “fin hole”. I don’t want this log to bowl over a dozen people if it escapes me after a ride. That’s why I’m gonna use a leash. WOULD I BE MESSING UP A PART OF 60’S LONGBOARD HISTORY IN MODERNIZING THIS OLD BOARD? After all, It’s not a well preserved old longboard, just a cool ol’ board. What do some of you think?

I recently bought an old longboard from a guy for just $50. I took the > gamble that it appeared genuinely old. It was spray painted and I couldn’t > see any logo or date. I lucked out. After sanding all of the external > layer of spray paint off, I found no logo or signature, but a 4 digit > serial number followed by a date of -67-. I was stoked. It’s a 10’5" > glassed on single fin with a concave nose and lots-o-weight. There’s a > small hole drilled in the trailing edge of the fin that’s probably for a > leash attachment. The board is in decent condition for its age, just lots > of discoloration and ding repairs. Totally surfable. MY DILEMA IS: Since > I’ll be riding this tanker from time to time in small to medium waves at > my fairly populated breaks, I’m thinking of installing a more efficient > rear deck-mount leash plug centered on the stringer. I would then fill and > sand the “fin hole”. I don’t want this log to bowl over a dozen > people if it escapes me after a ride. That’s why I’m gonna use a leash. > WOULD I BE MESSING UP A PART OF 60’S LONGBOARD HISTORY IN MODERNIZING THIS > OLD BOARD? After all, It’s not a well preserved old longboard, just a cool > ol’ board. What do some of you think No leash plug…add a glass leash loop instead, it can be removed if need and won’t ruin the board as a collectors item

i’d just take the webbing(rail guard)off the leash go thru the hole in the fin with the nylon string. without the webbing the leash won’t cause drag.

Are there any leash loops that are ready-made and would work on this heavy longboard? I’d love to just “peel and stick”, or attach it with just a little resin etc. I read in the archives about making a home made leash loop to attach on the rear deck tail, but that seems like even more work than a traditional flush mount leash plug. Thanks for the responses so far.>>> No leash plug…add a glass leash loop instead, it can be removed if need > and won’t ruin the board as a collectors item

i’d just take the webbing(rail guard)off the leash go thru the hole in the > fin with the nylon string. without the webbing the leash won’t cause drag. forget the leash… hold onto your board

FOUND IT. There’s a company called “EZ-Plug” that makes the top deck mounted “Stick-On” style leash loop/plugs. They claim it will hold a longboard. Anyone ever use one, or hear if they really work? Yes, I know, I should just hold on tighter to my old board, but I’m just being cautious and don’t want to be sued by a kid’s parents after my 10’5" mows them down!>>> Are there any leash loops that are ready-made and would work on this heavy > longboard? I’d love to just “peel and stick”, or attach it with > just a little resin etc. I read in the archives about making a home made > leash loop to attach on the rear deck tail, but that seems like even more > work than a traditional flush mount leash plug. Thanks for the responses > so far.

go to the o’fish’l web site, they have a stick on plug that I have used in double overhead surf without isues. you can chip it off with a putty knife when you don’t need it anymore.

Surfco Hawaii sells the “EZ-Plug”. http://www.surfcohawaii.com

just don’t take that beast out when it’s double O! kirk

FOUND IT. There’s a company called “EZ-Plug” that makes the top > deck mounted “Stick-On” style leash loop/plugs. They claim it > will hold a longboard. Anyone ever use one, or hear if they really work? > Yes, I know, I should just hold on tighter to my old board, but I’m just > being cautious and don’t want to be sued by a kid’s parents after my > 10’5" mows them down! Thanks for using a leash with it.