Modified Bosch Planers

The modified Bosch planer ad is finally up on the surf shop and ready for orders.  We had to make a last-minute decision on whether to offer as kits or only completed planers.  After a lot of thought, it was decided that only completed planers and those shipped to us for modifications would be offered. The decision was based on product liability issues (since electrical wiring is part of the modifications) and also because we felt that without control of the assembly and modifications, we couldn’t ensure the performance and reliability.  This became apparent as the kit instructions were almost 10 pages and a ton of photos. Please post any questions or comments on this thread and I’ll respond.     Thank you Barry, Cleanlines, and Greg Tate for all of your help and input that made this happen.

1 Like

Awesome,  I have shaped three boards so far with my Bosch and really like the planer. Will you guys have anyone in Hawaii be able to do the modifications? If not is it possible to just buy the new baseplate?

Thanks,

Jason

How about just a front shoe kit for the do it yourselfer???

How much are you charging to do the mods and how long will it take? I got one sitting and waiting for one of these mod kits

EDIT* I answered my own question about price once i saw you updated your ad.

Should we ship in the factory plastic box?

I am loving my Bosch. Just got some blanks in. I am thinking that (maybe?) it would be a good idea to offer the front shoe kit.

The vertical handle is awesome. Wondering how it would work with just front shoe conversion. That way Pete C is not liable for electrical stuff. Just a thought…( I am getting ready to take mine down to Jacksonville,FLA so if anybody wants to check it out in person let me know. WIll be hitting Surf Source and Clay Bennet’s factory. PM me for my cell.)

We’ll do a depth control kit, it’s the easiest part of the conversion.  This includes the new shoe, drive mechanism, front handle.   The baseplate also has to be cut so that the opening at the blades is wider, but this will all be in the instructions.   Should be done later next week and up on the site.

Please don’t send the big carrying case the planer comes with, it just adds shipping cost. Remove the blades and wrap in bubblewrap and put in a box with pellets.  I’ll post some photos how you can hack the case to hold the modified planer. 

I now have to sell a couple of my other planers to pay for the modifed Bosch. Looking forward to useing the Bosch Modified.

Artz,

What you got?

I’m always wanting to add to my collection.I’ve been using my Bosch quite a bit lately.

It’s my little Porsche planer.

Barry My collection of Planers are two Skill 100 7.5 and 5.5 A Clark modified.  2 working Power Kraft and One Parts Power Kraft and one monster Rockwell 653.   I can’t do a trade as I need the cash.  

Pete just ordered mine. The Barry Snyder Special. Can’t hardly wait till it comes. Pete; order date was 2-16 How long do you think?

Here is Olaf Henkel Muller of Califa surfboards Chile. Olaf is here shaping on Maui and got the chance to give the new Bosch a test drive. We are like little kids in a candy store, the excitement of a new toy is worth the price.

Should ship later this week or early next week.  We have to buy retail until Bosch gets rolling (they move sloow). 

Thanks Matt for posting the photo, I hope that you guys just removed the vac elbow and it didn’t get broken when shipped.  If you want a port that shoots straight out, let me know and I make you an elbow that fits over the new one. 

Hi Pete, my planer arrived in perfect condition.  The guys packed it perfectly, I only removed the vacuum elbow so that Olaf could give it a test drive.  So far, I have tortured the crap out of the Bosch ( I am trying to kill it) and it hasn’t complained at all.  I just finished a 12’6" downwind sup, 1.5lb eps foam, 8 passes on the bottom and 3" mow down off the deck rails. No trouble at all.  My Skil’s would have needed a few rest stops and my Clarks would have clogged up more than a few times so I am thinking that I may have shaved 20 minutes off my shape time.   Good deal so far.

Cool, can’t wait.

Thanks

Pretty cool Pete!  You’re getting positive feedback from some of the best in the business…  Word will get around Maui fast that Matt’s got a secret weapon up at Pauwela Cannery. Da “coconut wireless”.  Lowel

PS   Hey Pete.  I just sent an email to one of the best shapers on Oahu about your planer and directed him over here…  He works at the “Factory” in Wahiawa…  Knows lots of guys.  More “coconut wireless”.  Lowel

Jim Stephens of Underground Boardworks, formally of Tybee GA and now a Hawaii shaper is here giving the Bosch a test drive. It is awesome how a new tool can create so much excitement for the people in our craft

A yea my friend Jim. He has turned in to a really good shaper. He started with me and went forward after getting the Kazuma gig. I hope to see him this spring

Cleanlines, Jim speaks highly of you and yes he has become one of the best. Recently I gave Jim an impossible task, to copy my personal magic competition 6’1". I am happy to say that he shaped me a 9 out of 10 so he passed my test.