Modified Bosch Planers

Pete will chime in; but I am  pretty sure the Euro version of the Bosch is a “single blade”.  That being the reason that he has backed off of converting the Euro Bosch.  You can run what’s known as a “step up or step down”. There is nothing really “bulky” about them.  Just set it on the floor, plug in to the wall outlet and then plug the planer into the step up/down.  Lowel

Hey Pete,

What is your website address for ordering modified Bosch planers?

Thanks,

Hal

They are no longer Available he will have the new makita kit for the new year

What is his website?

Best,
Hal

They will be first sold here and then through a few retailers. It is only a kit, planer is not supplied.

Just to clear up any confusion on the Bosch kits…
If you have a Bosch 1594K, there are some kits available here: http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com/BOSCH_MODIFIED_PLANER_KIT.html . However, I am no longer affiliated with this company nor do any conversions for these kits. - Pete

Bosch 1594k planner w/free shipping and with the special of $25 (USD) off it’s $114 (below). Add that conversion kit for $124 (including shipping) and that is a pretty reasonable deal ($238 total in the US) for a critical piece of shaping equipment.

http://www.tylertool.com/bosch-1594k-3-1-4-in--planer-with-carrying-case/bshn1594k,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=723&zmap=bshn1594k&gclid=CjwKEAiAj7TCBRCp2Z22ue-zrj4SJACG7SBEedJfbN-zBfkF5ThDt1T2lEyKcEK9m5U_8tLmlJseBxoCDKHw_wcB

And just in time for Xmas.

Also I believe his makita kit is going to be ready soon after the holidays for those waiting/wanting to try that. The makita even has a stronger motor. But in all honesty I love my Bosch either are great

Hi Pete, I can’t seem to private message at the moment but I’m looking for your email to pass onto a friend who’s interested in getting a Skill refurb done? Thanks
Noe

Hi No Ocean, sent you a PM with my contact info.

Just completed the Bosch modification. Got the mod kit and planer for Xmas. Took about 4.5 hours from start to finish. Mostly because I forgot to put things back into the planer; where the heck does this thing go… So I had to take the sides off a couple of times. If I had to do this again, maybe 2.5 hours total and nearly one hour of that time would be rounding off the guide plate. I couldn’t completely zero out the front shoe. Probably cuts 1/64th of an inch or less turned down to zero. So gotta stay vigilant with this tool. I could not figure out what I did wrong even after taking it apart a few times. WIth that said, this is a great mod on a powerful tool. 6.5 amp motor feels a lot more juicy than my current 5.5 amp Hitachi. Will see how this cuts in the spring.

That Makita looks like a nice planer. Hopefully Pete will build them instead of just selling kits. I have one of his Boschs and its sweet.
One of the key elements that makes a Skil so nice is the mushroom front knob. I hope that comes in to consideration.
It took my Bosch and did an experimental mushroom knob and I liked it a lot.

All stock planers have about 1/64 or so cut at zero so they will have more “bite” if the cut if started with the planer flat on the work at zero depth. This is the reason you cut back the opening on the baseplate (to make it larger) as this also helps to start into a cut at zero. And for the same reason the Bosch kit comes with washers to shim down the baseplate so there’s no cut at zero. If you’ve installed these washers and still get a cut at zero, install another set of 4 thin ones (.028" max), but keep in mind that this will also reduce your max depth cut.
There is no blade adjustment on all planers that use these strip-type carbide blades (Makita and Bosch) so the only way to zero is to shim the baseplate lower than the blades. Skil’s and others can be zeroed at anywhere since the blades are moveable.

Hi Roger, The Makita kits use a real Skil 100 front knob (older type mushroom). You’re absolutely right that this must be a key element along with a similar depth lever. Skil didn’t make the knobs, and the old type is still available but the later type mushroom knob isn’t. These knobs are expensive ($7 each), but as Roger pointed out it’s well worth it and the early test runs have proved that. I’m very close to finishing the kits, the prototype has been complete for a couple of weeks now, but is undergoing changes for the depth control lever so that the feel is just like a Skil. I will post pix when more of the parts are delivered.

Oh boy! Can’t wait!
All the best

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I’ll put another set of thin washers on the guide plate, maybe not. It’s not like I’m going to fine shape with this tool. For me it is just the next step in my personal evolution as a garage shaper. Now that you have the Makita kit coming to market soon, I might have to indulge in that set up, too.

Same here.
For all Makita owners salivating about Pete’s upcoming mod kit here’s something to kill some time. A fallback take on his Bosch mod applied to the Makita. No front shoe adjustment. Just tried to get a sturdy handle with my preferred angleas low as possible. The trigger lock works quite sketchy. Then again I am happy that I made it this far. Again it’s just meant as an interim solution until Pete’s mod becomes available.

Very much looking forward to seeing this Pete and getting my hands on it.
Especially getting that depth adjustment feeling like the Skil.

Aloha🤙🏼, Are these mods still available. I’ve looked around but can’t seem to find any contact/ordering info.
Thanks for your time

Sorry been gone for about 10 years. Conversion kit for Makita KP0810 is available here: https://foamez.com/product/makita-planer-modification-kit-only/

Thanks,

Pete Casica, Casica Tech
25631 Via Del Rey
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675-4458
949-365-6603, casicatech@gmail.com