Mokarran-MVG

Around Christmas time it’s grand to have something new.

So here’s a new fin template I’m running single on my 7’5"for a while.

In the spirit of the season the folks at MVG sent me the little finlets ahead of it. What a grand surprise. Who should I thank for these?

Happy Holidays to all from Rich at Halcyon Custom Fins.

I had thought about finlets for a long time… like I had this idea about what if you made your fin setup look like a tuna, how would that perform?

Hey Deathfrog,

George Greenough did it and revolutionized surfing.

Tuna fins are high aspect and low profile to surf them you need a board with lots of holding power of its own.

When the part of the surf world was transitioning away from longboards many of the shortened creations had tuna type fins on them. There are boards being made today that still use this approach. For many wave conditions it works beautifully.

Have a look at some Nat Young, and Wayne Lynch footage.

Greg Liddle and Kirk Putnam (who is a regular on this forum) build boards that work beautifully with this type of fin.

In design one foil or shape works best with the right compliments. One thing sure – tuna shaped fins are very low drag.

Merry Christmas, Rich

Herb Spitzer was making sharktooth finlets (I think he was calling them superchargers) but they were bigger than the ones in the pic. This was years ago.    I haven’t seen him on Sways for a long time.   He was casting them out of resin+fiber fill,