Mr.Phillips.........Hitachi planer question??????

…I recently purchaced Bruce’s Clark planer,and proceeded to chop-up broadway.New,bearings(high speed,abec9,high heat tolerant),and some other goodies. …When I went in to drop/remove the horizontal pin on the depth-control knob,It wouldn’t budge,not even with a 28oz ballhammer,and pin punch!I then proceeded to knockoff the knob(shattered it,I was planning on replacing it with a custom anyway),and I still can’t get it to move,I tried heat,direct blows with the hammer,nothing.I’ve dropped pins from everything from extractors,to heavy machine parts,so it’s not me.I guess what I’m going to have to do is drill it out with my carbide bits…ever run into this problem with a Clark planer?Herb

Herb, I had the same problem with mine. Looked like the pin was glued in. Pounded the snot out of it and it finally came out.

Herb, I had the same problem with mine. Looked like the pin was glued in. > Pounded the snot out of it and it finally came out. …Ya Scott,I thought so.Thanks,Herb.

…Ya Scott,I thought so.Thanks,Herb. Herb, Scott, they are hardend steel, I clamped my vise grips onto the sucker and twisted it out, but after it was too loose to stay in. I tried to use a punch and peen it, that was when I figured out it was hardend. It is in such an awkward position, it is almost impossible to drift it out with a punch.

Herb, Scott, they are hardend steel, I clamped my vise grips onto the > sucker and twisted it out, but after it was too loose to stay in. I tried > to use a punch and peen it, that was when I figured out it was hardend. It > is in such an awkward position, it is almost impossible to drift it out > with a punch. …I couldn’t even budge it with vicegrips!!! …My last one I bought about 3 years ago,and the one before it,the pins practially fell out on command.This one was extra stubborn,and you’re right about the ackward POSITION/ANGLE on pin punching ,(even with the knob off).I didn’t want to pound on it anymore,as to keep from injuring something else,so I cut the lengthy side of the pin off ,and tapped it out with a carbide drill no problem.It’s definitely case hardened.Herb