MULTI-FIN SYSTEM (5 fin placement)

I just shaped a 5’11" and 20 1/2 wide.
Now I don’t know how the fins should be placed.

Front - 13 1/2 from tail and 1" of the rail.
Back - 8 from tail and 2" of the rail.
Should I put them lil bit backwards and the backs at around 3" of the tail?
I will install future fin system on it.

I found this image.
As closer the rail it’ll give more drive, more pivot and more hold.
As closer the stringer tight arc, less hold and less drive.
And the same with the position from the tail. As closer the rail will give lot of drive, pivot and hold.
What I am seeking is something in between.
Not too much drive, normal to tight arc and medium hold.
What are the number for it?
Tomorrow I’ll measure the tail wideness.

My $.02 - I disagree with the effects of some of the above ratings.

Your shape doesn’t appear to have a 18.5" width or a 14" tail, so controlling the extra surface area is another consideration.

I like to include consideration of the surfer’s stature and stance, particularly their rear foot placement. If they normally pop up with their rear foot crowding the tail block then setting the fin cluster further back will accentuate their leverage. On the other hand if thy pop up further forward then moving the cluster forward gives them more control there. Most bigger guys seem to favor their rears out at the rail and use single foiled fins there. Riders who are lighter seem to prefer the rears mounted further inboard and like asymmetric or even double foiled rears. Then there the spacing - a lot of the Orange County shapers use a tight cluster with very little space between front/rear. I call that the Orange County cluster. Elsewhere you get the 1.1/2 or 2 finger spread.

There are lotsa ways to go with a quad setup. What I will suggest is that if you’re 180# or heavier and choose to put your rears out at the rail then maybe consider using a full depth 3/4" box for that and run the SB1 longboard sidebites. And a much larger front fin, like either the Pancho fin or the small FT1 twin. If you’re lighter than 180# then just stick with the normal Future rears and the 1/2" box.

gdaddy has some good advice. I was just wondering… the title says “5 fin placement” - is that correct? If so, I’d say you’re right on target. Just add a center box as far back as thickness allows.

Nope it doesn’t have 18.5 width hahaha around 20 and the tail at 12" it’s 16.5" or 8.5 at 0"
what i really want is not too much hang and tight turns
my surfing is not that pro so i think 1" front/rear will not make me surf better.
I am around 176 and after a good dinner 180 hahaha

yes the title is correct, the center fin mark is not that visible hahaha
i think 3" it’s maximum i can put it backwards. I made the tail kinda thin coz all other boards i made has it so damn dull.

So the tail it’s 16.5" at 12" from tail.
I also did a tool for routing the hole for the futures.
I’m using those router bits with bearing and with the width almost 1.3cm

Looks to me like you nailed it!
I’m curious how you end up liking it. Most of the 5 finners I’ve done ended up being ridden as thrusters.

Thank you johnmellor.
In the end what I did was moving the boxes a lil backwards.
Front fins 13" and back ones at 7.5".
The center is at 3.5".
Also a lil bit closer to the stringer front 1.5" of the rail and back 2.5".
I might move the backs at 7".
For the pic I used double sided tape coz wanted to visualize them on the board.

Looks good to me. Right on the money. Distance at rear of fins (i.e.overlap-forward) looks perfect. Nice install with that jig and the bearing bit. Making sure you get the right bearing and the size of the cut out on the jig is crucial. Looks like you carefully thought the whole thing out and executed it perfectly. Lowel

co-sign

Thats probably the best backyard jig/ install Ive seen on this forum

The diameter of the bit is the same of the deepest cut then I have to adjust the router for the thickest part of the box.
Thanx a lot McDing

Due that I am not any pro glasser/shaper I have to manage things to don’t pay for the tools I can make by my own.
Thanx Acqua_Glassing

Today a friend of my asked me to help him with the installation of two future boxes on the fish he’s making.
It came out kinda nice. I am so happy with the final result.

Hola Colin, I too am interested in your jig. It obviously works well, but I can’t get my brain around exactly how. Any chance you could provide a step by step explanation of your process for doing the routing with that jig? Which bit you use at which stage etc.?

Thanks in advance.

I will make a video of it.
The bits I bought them on Alisexpress for around 3€ or sort of.
The katsu router is from egay and costs 40-60€.
Still waiting for the 3.5 diameter router bit.
When it’ll arrive I’ll make another video. With the 3.5cm I think will be much easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7IVfYlwME&feature=youtu.be

ColinIG -clever fixture and nice video. If you use the share/embed feature in YouTube you can copy and paste the code for the red arrow ‘play me’ thing into your post.

Nice jig Colin. Simple and effective +1