Multiple color spray on foam

Looking for some recommendations. I’m painting an EPS board that has been sealed with spackle. I’m using quality acrylic paint from a sprayer (harbor freight HPLV). I’ve done solid colors before but wanted to do something a little more exotic. Light blue board fading to white towards the tail. Black rails fading to darkish grey in the tail. I was thinking just doing the blue first then taping off and doing the black to grey fade on the rails (over the blue). Is that going to work or should I tape off the rails first do the blue on board, then tape off again and do the rails. In other words, will painting over the blue work or should I try to put the paint down on virgin foam whenever possible?

Depending on the quality of the foam and the type of tape you use your results may vary. I’ve had beads pull out when I removed tape and I’ve had lots of ‘bleed’ under tape edges. I’ve also had the first color pull up with the tape when I tried to mask/paint over it. I think the main thing is to try and get it as smooth as possible, mask lightly, and spray light coats. As always, testing on scraps is recommended.

Or you could glass the board , sand to to 320 , and then spray all your colors without worrying about the foam problems , then clear coat with upol.

Thanks. It’s a US Blanks EPS. Ill go the simple route with all blue then color rails over. I expect some bleed so maybe a pinline or a little touch up will be in order after.