My 1st board is done.

Here are some pics. 1st board I shaped. So stoked. Can’t wait to take it out!!!

Oh, and thanks to Dave (Falkenau) for hookin’ me up w/ a couple templates.

NICE! Very clean. Hard to believe it is #1. Just tell me you had someone else glass it. Let us know how it goes.

Quote:

NICE! Very clean. Hard to believe it is #1. Just tell me you had someone else glass it. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks bro. I’ll post how it rides after the weekend. And yes, I had someone glass it. I couldn’t have done that nice of a job in my garage. Maybe someday.

Best first effort I have ever seen. Are you sure this is your first board? Looks more like board number one hundred to me.

Board looks great!! What are the dimensions?

I’m considering a fish as a first board, any big learners you can pass on?? Be interested to hear how it goes??

Bluebottle

Nice job. Better than mine at around fifty something. Mike

No way !! That looks so good for a No1. My absolute favourite colour too.

Congratulations.

Cheers

Mooneemick

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I’m completely stoked on it. I’ll post up a review Monday on how it handles. Dims are 6’4"x21.5"x2 7/8". I coming down from an egg or I would’ve gone shorter. Maybe the next one.

Quote:

I’m considering a fish as a first board, any big learners you can pass on?? Be interested to hear how it goes??

Bluebottle

Hey Blue,

I think the biggest thing is keeping it symmetrical. I pre-cut a template out of masonite. 1/2 the shape. Also, do your research and watch one of your local guys if possible. The Shaping 101 vid could help too. There is a ton of good info on this site if you take some time to look. There are template designs, techniques etc… The dims are 6’4"x 21.5" x 2 7/8". I’m 6’2 195lbs. I probably could’ve gone smaller but made a call to play it safe on this one. Next one will probably be 5’11-6’0".

This rain is killin’ me. I want to take her out but I don’t want to be floored with some bacterial infection. ARRRGH!!!

Quote:
Quote:

Bluebottle

Hey Blue,

I think the biggest thing is keeping it symmetrical. I pre-cut a template out of masonite. 1/2 the shape. Also, do your research and watch one of your local guys if possible. The Shaping 101 vid could help too. There is a ton of good info on this site if you take some time to look. There are template designs, techniques etc… The dims are 6’4"x 21.5" x 2 7/8". I’m 6’2 195lbs. I probably could’ve gone smaller but made a call to play it safe on this one. Next one will probably be 5’11-6’0".

This rain is killin’ me. I want to take her out but I don’t want to be floored with some bacterial infection. ARRRGH!!!

Really nice looking board. Those dimensions should be good since you’re coming off of a little bigger board. It will be a nice transition if you go with a 6 footer next. I’m 6’ 1" 210-215, and the dimensions of your green board are about the same as the fish I’ve been riding and I absolutely love it. I could maybe go a little shorter for smaller days, but it still handles up to 8 feet pretty well, so I think it’s just right.

Mate if that’s your first,you are a natural!!Keep us posted on performance.Hard to believe thats your first?

Wow, that thing is really beautiful. Great color! Really nice shape too. I have finished shaping my first board, also a fish (5’9" x 20 1/8") and am waiting for my irresponsible artist friend to finally show up to do some painting on the foam before I get it glassed. I was gonna glass it myself but don’t have a good resource nearby to buy supplies from and it seems like it would easier to glass a shape without a butt crack.

Speaking of butt cracks, how did you cut yours in order to keep it symmetrical through the stringer. This has been my biggest challenge, along with shaving down the stringer along the top curve of the butt crack. Maybe its because I shaped the whole thing with hand tools.

Quote:

Wow, that thing is really beautiful. Great color! Really nice shape too. I have finished shaping my first board, also a fish (5’9" x 20 1/8") and am waiting for my irresponsible artist friend to finally show up to do some painting on the foam before I get it glassed. I was gonna glass it myself but don’t have a good resource nearby to buy supplies from and it seems like it would easier to glass a shape without a butt crack.

Speaking of butt cracks, how did you cut yours in order to keep it symmetrical through the stringer. This has been my biggest challenge, along with shaving down the stringer along the top curve of the butt crack. Maybe its because I shaped the whole thing with hand tools.

First shot, I used a standard saw and it came out completely uneven. To fix it I used a pull saw for the butt crack, much easier. I basically alternated cutting sides on the stringer slowly cutting towards the center, constantly checking the top and bottom for symmetry. I then used a small round file to clean the stringer up. Aside from the rails, I used a surform for the inside of the tail.

Thanks for that Shack.

Okay, here’s a quick review on how she goes. I paddled out tues and wed, still pretty good leftovers at ponto from monday’s swell. It’s a change from my egg, but a pleasant one. The board is surprisingly more buoyant than expected. It was so easy to catch a wave with. First wave, popped up, I flew down the face, cutting a backside bottom turn and it slipped out. Next drop was successful! I was able to make the turn this time, did a couple nice turns and kicked out as the wave was closing out. For a first board I have absolutely no complaints. So fun! So fast!

I just have to give some thanks to everyone here on Sways for providing great info and giving good insight and feedback on design. Number 2 is going to be coming soon. I’ll probably take a couple inches off harden the rails a bit. I’m thinkin’ quad…