Need Advice...gloss coat gummed up.

Used last of old can on the deck…its a mess…rippled and bumpy beyond belief. And when i went to sand it, it seems like lam resin…immediately gums up the paper. Since the bottom (new can gloss) is fine I’m tempted to just wax it from tip to tail and ignore the f****d up surface. But if there is another option I’d love to hear it because I put a lot of time in to the resin tints and pin line. Thanks in advance for any help.

hot coat it and sand it back down. if you’ve got pinlines under the gloss, you may want to sand it with a finer grit paper (carefully). good luck.

Surfthis, I’m not really sure I understand your advice but i’ve been sanding off the gloss coat that I screwed up and am going to try and regloss it. It seems like the only option…

Quote:

Surfthis, I’m not really sure I understand your advice but i’ve been sanding off the gloss coat that I screwed up and am going to try and regloss it. It seems like the only option…

If your resin hasn’t hardened completely it may be that the stuff is behaving like lam resin and needs to have an air barrier over it to go off completely, thus the recommendation of hotcoating over it, so it will harden enough to be sandable rather than chewing gum consistancy.

Another option might be a UV light, as I suspect your resin is kinda past it and needs something to kick it further, or lots and lots of sandpaper and patience. I’d avoid a heat lamp, as that could cook the glass and cause delams now and down the line.

I generally test old resin before using it, to see if it will actually harden. Paint a thin coat of it onto an appropriate surface and see what it does - a thick coat ot test batch in a cup is more likely to harden completely no matter what. I started doing that after an episode like you’re having.

hope that’s of use

doc…

yeah, what the doc said. the hot coat on top of gummy gloss allows you to sand it easier. it may even allow you to sand smooth enough to polish. not likely, but it happened for me once.