Need suggestions for new longboard

Hey Guys

I’m looking to add an additional longboard to my quiver, I currently have a 8’3" standard, run of the mil longboard but I’m looking for something with a little more kick.

Ideally I’d like something that will turn, remain stable, fast and if still remains a nice wave catcher. I would like to keep it in the mid 8’ range so it fits in my bag and I can travel with it.

I’m 5’10" and 150lbs…

Any suggestions, specs, ideas would be appreciated.

thanks guys.

Josh

template suggestions would be excellent as well.

or even suggestions on how I can get the feel i’m looking for.

I’m a new board builder so I’m unsure how to get the results im looking for.

thanks again.

Josh

[quote="$1"]

Hey Guys  I'm looking to add an additional longboard to my quiver, I currently have a 8'3" standard, run of the mil longboard but I'm looking for something with a little more kick.

Ideally I'd like something that will turn, remain stable, fast and if still remains a nice wave catcher. I would like to keep it in the mid 8' range so it fits in my bag and I can travel with it.  I'm 5'10" and 150lbs...

Any suggestions, specs, ideas would be appreciated.

[/quote]

Hey Random, saw this post earlier but thought I'd let the smarter guys go first.  No one spoke up, so maybe the question is too vague?

What I would do in your shoes is look up pics of guys like Bonga Perkins or Joel Tudor, and take note of the shapes they're riding, since I think both of those guys are known as pretty progressive longboarders.  Also, a lot of the surfboard manufacturer websites have photos showing template and rocker shots, that are worth studying.  There are quite a few shapers that make longboards, and have photos on their website.

Also, don't forget Quiver, Swaylocks surfboard archives, there's a lot of good stuff there too.

I don't know how you're planning on building your board, but if you start with blank from US Blanks or Marko, then you should be able to stay pretty close to the rocker that comes in the blank.  Also, I think they have catalogs you can download, that show planshapes, rocker, volume, key dimensions, etc. of their blanks.

Wish you the best with your project, longboards are a lot of board to shape and glass, but rewarding too.

here is some links that show nose and tail dims 

rocker shots too 

http://www.avisosurf.com/DT8-0.html

http://www.avisosurf.com/Rusty8-6.html