Needed Pope HollowFoil

A very kind person here gave me a Pope HollowFoil Yater fin.

I am looking for another one that is prone to filling with water. Yes, I am looking for one that I can de-construct. Please let me know if you have one for sale. I’ll cover shipping as well.

I don’t know much about these fins other than what has been previously written here. So, if you have a history or a cool story about this fin please post up.

Be well,
Dave

I found this link to have some interesting engineering detail on the Pope Bisect board. The fin is hand laid up to match using the same materials supposedly.

http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/engineering-insights-have-surfboard-will-travel

The hollow lexan, injection molded fin? If so, I have two of them. Wish I’d known when you were down this way.

Dave, I can understand the hollow idea but is it ‘meant’ to fill with water ? Is it meant to slowly fill or have water flow thru it ?
The graphics on the side are priceless.

RDM…Thanks for the link. Read it all. Very helpful

Bill…All good. Looking for the carbon fiber one. But always interested in the Lexan.

Surffoils…In conservation with Bill there have been a number of hollow fins made over different points in history. All unintentionally filling with water and leading to the demise of the idea. And I found the perfect girl to model the Pope fin.

Hi David -
Please check your regular email regarding the Hollowfoil fin.

PS - If I am not mistaken, the boards (and the fins) are not exactly hand laid up as most of us would understand. I seem to remember Karl Pope telling me that they used external molds with inner inflatable bladder/balloon type things to compress the material inside the mold. From what I can see inside some hollow fin shells I have, the fins might be done the same way.
From what I remember, their construction methods had changed a bit from what is spelled out in the article to which Huck provides a link. Instead of the top and bottom shells being made separately, the inflatable bladder method allowed specially cut prepreg carbon to be placed and pressure applied from the inside creating a seamless one-piece shell… kind of like a reverse vacuum bag. If my memory serves me, I saw a board that had been cut straight across the middle in prep for the bulkhead/latches to be installed. There were still pieces of rubber hanging inside where the inflatable bladder had been torn out after molding.

Contact Blinky at Ventura surf shop he may still have some laying around

@ John Yes, I received your email.

@ Matt, Thank your for the tip.

Be well,
Dave