Negative air machine?

Anyone use one of these for dust or voc control in their shaping, sanding or glassing room?

“Anyone use one of these for dust or voc control in their shaping, sanding or glassing room?”
No.
Try my cure all
imported from Japan!
LOL

In terms of glassing or sanding, the idea is to keep the room in negative pressure (less than 15 psi) by exhausting the air and filtering it (dust, odors) while controlling the intake air. My experience has been mostly for sanding, and I’ve found that the smaller the room (usually 8 x 12) the more difficult this becomes since the flat filters load up very rapidly. As the filters load, the exhaust efficiency drops and pressure goes back up and it’s basically like you’re sanding in a closed room. A better arrangement for sanding is to use an external extractor-blower system and a dust bag + dust box. This arrangement is more related to airflow rather than pressure.

Scrubbing odors like poly resin is very difficult. Multiple charcoal filters will remove some of the smell but not all, so usually it’s masked by adding either a citrus or other odor. Filters will catch most of the VOC’s though, but the big complaint is always the odor. Manufacturers advertise that their machines will scrub paint and glue fumes, but I think once you duct the exhaust outside the smell becomes concentrated again unless there’s a lot of air movement at the stack. For the odor, it’s really about how fast you can dissipate it outside. VOC’s are heavy so if most can be removed before exit the exhaust will dissipate faster.

I use a home made one in négative mode with a G4 filter. I had an intake blower with lower airflow to Help in opposit top corner. Next i ll improve to a better vertical flux.

The optimum way is to draw the heavier VOC’s downward. Kinda like a vacuum table when sanding wood pieces. Problem is that the duct has to make at least a 90 degree turn (maybe 180 to a vertical exhaust) which taxes the airflow by 50% so a bigger unit is needed. Or, something like a big range-hood could be used and everything pulled directly up. The downside to that is that all the crap on the floor will come up on the lam or hotcoat.

It would never work for me. I’m too full of hot air…

…Negative Air! Because we suck…

I use one all the time, I even know how to set it up, and all the physics needed to make it very special, and a huge success. I mean no one knows more about subject then me. It’s gonna be great. People all the time tell me how fantastic my negative air is, people fly from around the world just to hear my negative air, it absolutely fantastic,
… But I’d never tell you, ever.

How’s that for negative air?

Good for you Mr. 'Head, It’s nice to remain positive about your negative air. Keep spreading it out there.

Nothing more than a blower fan and filters in a box to clean air. You can use them to pulse filtered air in a room (positive pressure in room), or filter and évacuate air outside (négative pressure) or as a air cleaner in room, a common tool in Wood working place. For each use you have to choose the rights filters, very fine ones take power and cost a lot.

When did you change your name to Donald?
Lots of negative air blowing around Sways these days.
Bernie and I are hoping to come to SD again later this year. Maybe we can hook up with you guys again. That would be great, I mean really great, actually, really, really great!

‘’…hoping to come to SD later…‘’ By SD, do you mean San Diego? Just asking.

Yes Bill. I think around Sept. Nothing set yet.
My brother has a possible business trip and I might come along for the ride and cruise around while he’s busy. Lots of board companies I’d like to check out. It would be cool to see Jim Phillips’ shop. Maybe see George Gall and what kind of craziness he’s cooking up these days. We have a cousin in Chula Vista we should see. Seeing Keith and family is a must do as well.

Sucky Negative Air man

Bill Barnfield posted a really good description of the vacuum system for his sanding rooms. If I recall, the vents went up and baffles directed the particulate down to the ground and cleaner air flowed towards a filter.