New board fin toe angle wrong on delivery

Hello Never posted before but just wanted some advice I ordered a new board from Barron surfboards in New Zealand. Ordered a 6.2 vaux almo with fcs fin boxes. The board is pu foam with epoxy resin Due to Christmas’s it arrived after five weeks great On opening the package it had fcs 2 boxes in only thruster combination when the photos showed five fin combination (not a great start) On looking at thruster set up something was wrong. The left and right outer fins had different fin toe angle. I initially tried to measure this but eventually took it too a carpenter friend who used a bevel to find that the left fin had a toe fin angle of 2 degrees and right of five degrees. It’s visibly out. Have contacted Barron who have agreed to courier back the board and offered to Route out the incorrect fins and put new ones in. For me this is going to ruin the new board and because fcs 2 is put in before glassing ruin some of the strength of the board. Equally I paid for a new board which essentially now will be replaced by one that has been run over by a truck Sorry for the essay Do you think I’m wrong to ask for a new board to be shaped? Equally after watching a YouTube video of fcs 2 installation how did they get it so wrong and did they think I would not notice!

Hi Dan, it’s this sort of incompetence that’s replacing the skills and quality that surfboards are famous for. Maybe you got the glasser when he was stoned / drunk or someone just made a mistake ?
But these days they pass on the fuckup and expect you to pay full price and live with it.
Give quality at your own work and expect it of others. And refuse to take less.

How does it surf? Might not even be noticeable in the water.

Yup, poor workmanship,  but 2 degrees off over the length of a fin.  Maybe 1/16" off?  I’m tending to think ride it, and see how it does 

Not negating your case for a replacement.Just two points:

1. You can draw a line 3 or 4 feet up the board perpendicular to the stringer and draw along the inside of the fin to the line. Then measure from stringer to see whether any difference.
  2. Last board I built I cut fin plugs on my machine while cutting the bottom. The board was a bit crooked on the machine (1/4" tail to nose) and so the fin angles are a bit off. So far I've surfed it at Granites, Red Bluff, Tombstones and numerous other challenging breaks, as well as the usual weak slop. Never noticed a fin-related problem.

If you ordered a 5 fin combination, but got a thruster, you should settle that with the company. I’d be pissed. I would send it back if I ordered a 5 fin and only got 3. The website says the board has 5 boxes, so you got screwed. I’d tell them to make what you ordered.

The fin tow angle may not be as bad as you think, but you won’t know until you ride it. Then it would be too late to complain.

…could be worse

@ Acqua: Best post/pic I’ve seen in a while.  I got a good laugh out of that.  Thank you.

I would be more upset that I didn’t Get the Five Finner that I ordered.  But the toe/cant being wrong is inexcusable as well.  I would be looking at getting my $$$ back and buy one from someone who can read an order form and a tape measure.  Seriously!

Don’t know how it got brought to the top but, this thread is 6 months old…

Ha!  I didn’t even look at the date.  Hopefully he got it resolved.