new fin, big difference

I recently misplaced my old black standard 9" fin, so I went by the surf shop and picked up a couple new 9" fins (they only had two, and I bought both of 'em).  They were different from my old fin, narrower, and one was a cutaway. I was afraid I was gonna lose some drive and not like it.

Anyhow, I put this one (True Ames) on my 9’ go-to daily driver, and wow, what a difference!  It really loosened it up, and its helped me to loosen up in my surfing.  I’m naturally stiff, cuz I’m old (63) with a bad hip and bla bla bla, but I’ve really noticed a difference in the way I surf now with this fin.  I move around much more on the face, adjusting my position, dodging crowds or falling sections, etc, and just enjoying the turns more.

Gbzausa recently brought me some new fins to try (thank you!), and the timing is good, cuz I’m getting my eyes opened to how much difference a fin can make (I know, I know, you guys have said it a hundred times :slight_smile: ) Maybe also helped that I put the new fin all the way forward, because of something I read here on Swaylocks, although I can’t recall exactly what it was or who said it, maybe Bruce Fowler in his Fountain of Youth thread??  Anyway, its all good at this point!

The right fin in the right place will make a board “the best it can be”.  The converse is also true.  Experimentation pays off. Just because you love a particular fin on one board doesn’t mean that fin is right for another board. Fin placement is critical - an 1/8" difference in placement makes a difference.  

I have these two on boards right now: Fibre Glas Fin Co. (Larry Allison) 10" Pivot Flex and Harbour E-Series 9.5".  The Allison is drivey with nice flex-response. The Harbour has a very dynamic, fluid feel.

Others I like: True Ames PHD Volan, Rainbow A-Flex and Fibre Glas Fin Co. GL Flex. 

Could you post some pics?

The A-Flex 9-3/4" is on the red board (9’ 4"). Tail is 16-1/2" with hard down-rail and V-bottom. Fin is 9-3/4" from tail.

The Harbour E-Series 9-1/2" is on the blue board (9’6"). Tail is 15-7/8" with soft rails, slight V-bottom. The fin is 8-3/8" from the tail.

The Allison 10" Pivot Flex is on the white board (9’-10"). It has a 14" tail with somewhat down-rail in the tail. The fin is 8-5/8" from the tail.

OK thanks, the pics help a lot!  I had a chance to take the board out again today, and am still surprised and stoked on how different the board rides with the new fin.  Definitely have no desire to go back to my old fin.  I might try to get some video in the next couple weeks for a visual on the difference (I have a couple waves on video with the old fin).  I will also try to get some pics and reports on the fins gbzausa loaned me, really stoked, after building several boards for myself, to now have this new avenue to explore to tinker with enhancing each board’s performance.  Fins!!!

Stoked! It’s amazing how much fin and placement change the ride. That’s why I cant’ get interested in boards with five boxes, etc. I’ll never be able to wrap my brain around it. Single fin experimentation is buy bien. miike

Seems like the times of dialing in fins is getting harder to do. We were lucky to have those days when the swell had hit, but the word hadn’t gotten out yet. Pre computers, and forecasting, and scheduling it down to the minute almost. You had to know weather,clouds,swell patterns and read a chart (weather and nav.). On those days you could get enough waves to tinker with fin placement. Many times Pitas became a racetrack to play with. A few out and open enough to really experiment with our fins. Those were some of the best days of surfing for me ever. The thing to do was move it around a lot in the box until just right and then resin it in place for daily use. I’ll admit, I’m not nearly as dedicated as I was back then but I’m living in a more remote place than Ventura and don’t see those days very often, or ever anymore. Shoots.

tblank - good points.  I surf typically crowded spots, and generally don’t get more than 3 or 4 waves per session.  Often I’m dodging paddlers, being snaked, or yelled at by a guy behind me I didn’t see, not to mention battling the aches and stiffness of age.  Not a lot of opportunity for experimenting and fine-tuning.  If I can get my 3 or 4 waves without any major dings, injuries, or confrontations, I consider that a good session, haha. 

It was really a fluke that I happened upon this fin, and its placement.  I wasn’t looking to start messing with fins, I just lost my fin and picked up what was available, then something I read here made me try it all the way forward in the box.  Can you believe Val Surf in Valencia only had two 9" fins?  Its all about apparel and skateboard supplies there, surfing supplies are just the window dressing.  I honestly didn’t even look at what they had, the sales guy said we only have 2, and I said I’ll take 'em -  but the fin they had was just what the doctor ordered for this board, it has been a real eye opener, and I have a newfound stoke to get out and get some more waves! 

In just a few sessions I can also feel my confidence grow, I’m making more sections that used to shut me down, and building speed with turns where I used to just trim.  At 63 I may not have a whole lot of sessions left, but it sure feels good to be seeing some small improvements at this late period in my surfing career!

Orale` Huck, Old dog learns new trick. Yeah, its amazing how little movement of the fin can loosen the whole board up. Typical Val Surf, and in the winter it will be all ski stuff. A buddy of mine stopped at Kennedy’s a couple weeks ago and they were filming a TV show or movie there. What is the world coming too? Really, I hope Glen made some dough off that crowd. Besides, he’s probably in Oz right now.

Stoked for you huck.

Curious, has anybody created a board based off of the fin they were going to use? I bet Thrailkill has…

Going by your photo’s, I would say your fin placement has more to do with your change in ride. The new fin has a slightly shorter fin base, but the biggest factor is its pushed up an inch or so in the box. Thats why your experiencing a looser, more responsive ride. An inch either way in the box with any fin makes a dramatic change in your ride. Forward placed fin = Loosy goosy. Rear placed fin = stiff and stable. Gotta play around with half inch increments to find that sweet spot your after. With a change of fin… the sweet spot may change and inch or so. :slight_smile:

Thanks ramble for the input, I’m always learning new stuff here!