new foam material?

Thinking about what you said about the differing dynamics of styofoam and > PU. Does this seem right? PU blanks don’t have uniform density - the foam > at the core is lighter and less dense than the foam on the outside.>>> Disregarding foil snd rail shape, the rails have less bouyancy than the > middle of the board. When you turn there’s less upward pressure from the > rails on a PU board. This must be the reason for displacing to the centre > in PU boards.>>> Styrofoam has uniform density - so the rails would have more upward > pressure than a PU board hence the corky feeling.>>> Therefore when building a styrofoam board you’d have to have lower/thinner > rails to make it work more like a PU board. a couple of years ago Liddle made a board from styro-it was a template and foil many of us were very familiar with- and that board, compared to it’s poly counterpart/twin, had no drive and was very corky.He even thinned the overall thickness to compensate for the styro, and his rails are thin, but there was no comparison in my book.I’ll stick to the poly/resin combo.>>> What do you think?

thanks Herb, now I rationally understand the “funny feeling” I > got from riding an unconventional foam\epoxy board and why I ran back to > the good old NeverChangedIn30YearsTechnologyblahblah board!>>> PS maybe it’s becasue I don’t like those boards, but it seems that most of > the people I see surfing surftechs and things like that are a bit similar > to each other, mostly in their 50s, good surfers, but with a somewhat > unfriendly attitude and not many smiles on their faces Back years ago the real thing was making a board from a tree, than a block PU was the real thing, then the real thing where blanks, the new thing is EPS/sandwich/surftechs/, technologie never stops…

Hey Herb, have you ridden a Swizzle by Morey just curious. I have been riding a polypropolene foam core swizzle for about a year and a half a see some advantages in this foam.i believe the yhp5 models were hand shaped. I would like to see more development in the area of new types of foam and flex resins.If you like the design of the swizzle or not I think the the use of the polypropolene core and flex resin may be a good direction to look to.

…I switched with a guy for a wave or two ,but is was pretty cra**y,so I didn’t get a real chance at one.Interesting concepts going on there that’s for sure.I’d be interested in how it is shaped,(if by hand).I wonder if a hotwire is used (alot)?Is it pressure molded,or vac/bagged?Cost is another issue,as well as toxicity,and flammiblity.Herb

The epoxy longboard I made actually flexes quite a bit, almost as much as a polyurethane board. My guess is that different epoxies flex quite differently and that the stronger ones flex less and the stronger ones are ones used in surfboard manufacturing. Herb, how about those fishes you build, short and thick. Do they have much flex or rely on flex to perform the way they do? I’m thinking of building an EPS version. regards, Håvard

The epoxy longboard I made actually flexes quite a bit, almost as much as > a polyurethane board. My guess is that different epoxies flex quite > differently and that the stronger ones flex less and the stronger ones are > ones used in surfboard manufacturing.>>> Herb, how about those fishes you build, short and thick. Do they have much > flex or rely on flex to perform the way they do? I’m thinking of building > an EPS version.>>> regards,>>> Håvard …A fish relys on it’s stiffness to get quicker drive,like a controlable bar of soap.There is some flex but not much!I think that Clyde Beatty,and Steve Brom use alot of epoxy/eps with outstanding results.Herb