New Patent on Full Length Concave

There is a company in Spain (MX Surf) which just patented (in Spain) full length concave. Does anyone out there know if full length concave (nose to tail) had been used before 2004?. If so, which shapers had been using this design principle and since when? 

Thanks!

LOL is a patented joke ! deep full concave was standard bottom of newschool surfing (slater, machado, shanes beschen,herring,…) in middle 90´s boards with lot of rocker, Greg Webber, Maurice Cole made them so deep… 

Hi Tgran, I had a full concave board build by the crawfee brothers from Wales (UK) in 94! Built my first with nose to tail concave in 2008 and it was being done long before that! It’s laughable that someone in 2020 has managed to get a patent for it like it’s a new undiscovered concept. 

slàinte mhath.

Bob Simmons

The guy is a nut. It’s such an obvious design characateristic, that it’s impossible that nobody played around with it in the last 70 years. But, I don’t have any hard evidence to say he’s full of s#*t. I’d like to be able to present evidence that he was not the first. Doing so would void his patent due to the fact that it has been public knowledge for the last several decades.

Let me know if you still have that crawfee brothers board laying around or can put me in touch with them!

Yeah, from what I’ve read, he was the first to play around with concave. I need some hard evidence that full length concaves have been in use since before 2004, which is when he notarized his idea and began thinking about the patent. I’d like to help get his patent repealed. Any ideas?

Surely to patent that would it not need ver specific measurements? You would need a patent for every size… 

Chamber Surfboards out of San Diego has been making full concave. Boards for a few years now… they have some nice videos up. I enquirer about a Longboard. They said a longboard full concave would creat too much lift.  All their Boards are egg shapes with a deep concave.

@ Tgran

You can;

Challenge the patent in court.

Infringe and see if he takes you to court.

Is his patent for Spain only or multiple countries?

Don’t know what patent laws in Spain are like.  But in the U.S. it looks like can request a Post-Grant Review.

Google search “challenging a patent.”

You are correct.

It’s all documented in Surfer and Surfing magazines.  A search through all issues back about 50 years should do.  A patent issued without that historical industry search is invalid.

I rode a board will full-length concave in '76 or '77 or so on the South Shore - it was aweful!  Just stiff and useless all around.  Besides, the thing that everybody fails to realize is that surfboards go sideways, not straight, and concaves are designed around the idea that water flows down the centerline of the board.

What is the problem? he legal attack you or he say he will ? it’s not the same with patent LOL. let him go in justice and prove you copy is patent. Are you sure is patent is really registred ? 

When you look registre patent, everything is patented, but just some are viable because people don’t want to pay for objective antériority studdies. Many are not valid because people patented an idea, you can’t protect an idea but only application, ie way of make, of an idea, so this patent need to details precisely everything, for concave: deepness, profile, repartition along bottom…

For example, lay carbon fiber on surfboard rails is not patentable. spray glue UD 170gr/m2 50mm wide T6000 carbon on top and on bottom of rail then laminate it will you cover with 4oz glass on bottom could be. Everyone do carbon rails and no one attack so…