New planer - looking for depth adjustment mod ideas

Hey all,

I’ve just taken possession of a new/old planer, which I picked up on eBay for $50. It’s a Towa L-22D, the closest thing to a Skil 100 ever sold in Australia. I think the L-22L, a Ryobi, was sold in the States and Europe. It’s a bit of a beast, but will mow the foam and wood like a hot knife through butter, once I get the blades nice and sharp.

[[{“fid”:“106923”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Towa L-22D”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Towa L-22D”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“alt”:“Towa L-22D”,“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

However, I’m not a big fan of the depth adjustment. It’s a round knob at the front of the shoe and is both fiddly and ergonomically unfriendly. I’ve done a search of the archives and it seems that Doc posted a mod for this back in the early years of the forum. Unfortunately this thread seems to have dissolved into its component zeroes and ones and is no longer accessible. Does anyone have any ideas for rigging up a modification for this model planer, or did anyone by any chance save the details of Doc’s mods before they were wiped?

[[{“fid”:“106929”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Towa L-22D front view”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“2”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:“Towa L-22D front view”,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“alt”:“Towa L-22D front view”,“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“2”}}]]

Here are a couple more photos and a pdf of the exploded view of the Ryobi, which is a later version of the one I bought. This gives you a pretty good idea of how the depth adjustment functions.

Cass, that Towa planer looks very similar to the PowrKraft planers distributed in the USA by Montgomery Wards stores.

Link to a thread with a restoration and manual, at the end someone mentions modifications:

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/restored-montgomery-ward-power-kraft-tpc-8937a-3-116-70-amp-power-planer

Awesome, thanks jrandy, you’re a scholar and a gentleman.

Check out Pieter Surfboards has done a depth adjustment mod on a planer very similar to that, and I think in his latest instagram post he mentioned he was going to start selling a kit.

https://www.instagram.com/pietersurfboards/?hl=en

Great call Mreuther - I just checked him out and there’s heaps on there about his mod. For those playing along at home, he’s switched out the knob for a piston-style lever that goes from zero to wide open in 90 degrees. He’s also attached a stopper on the side of the front boot so it can’t go so far that it pulls out from the body of the planer. Not a pretty solution, but effective.

Apparently Pieter and his machinist mate Bob are going to sell the mod to anyone who wants it for $250 AUD plus freight. That’s way out of my price range, but I might just try to piece one together myself and see how I go.