New Stepdeck Design!

Dear Abe and Roy -

Please refrain from personal attacks.

Thank you,

“Sheriff” John

“Now, if you made a widget that decreased the time it took to shape a board then THAT would be a marketable product to share at Swaylocks.”

a lot of burning went on here with the shaping machine guys… they do offer widgets that cut down shaping time… in fact i did 9 completly different customs including 9’1" , a 6’7" single fin, a 7’0" egg and a 5’6" cadet pro. on saturday morning in 2 1/2 hours… all with the aps3000 widget…

Quote:

Go and screw yourself Froman, you creep. You know F*** all!

Don’t your kids read this forum Roy???

Roy Stewart = Fat Penguin ? Same guy, coincidence, I don’t think so! One pops up every couple of months. Welcome Roy ol Boy! making friends and influencing people.

• Jay

“With out trash, there’d be no garbage!”

San Diego Sanitation Dept, 2004

It amazes me how totally differently you guys read Roy’s posts than I do. I just don’t see what you complain about and can’t figure out what the big deal is. So he’s an eccentric (I hope it doesn’t mind that term, i wouldn’t) living out on his own somewhere building totally different boards and having a ball and tooting his own horn a bit. So what? Why feel threatened? Why does it bother you that he’s self-promoting? (at least not really promoting himself or products for commercial reasons which I can’t say about some of the other members here).

Sure, if you antagonize him, you might get a rough reply. Such is life. No big deal. But I read his posts all in good fun and all in the search of some sort of ‘truth’ though it just might be a different one than you’re after. So relax you guys.

Insert Rodney King quote here…

Quote:

This design concept has all of the advantages of the trraditional stepdeck without the disadvantage of an actual step!

[/url]

Smile!! :)) :))

Would I be correct in assuming that you lightened up the nose by reducing the volume of wood in the internal layers? I’m assuming you meant a stepdeck nose and not a full perimiter stepdeck when you said traditional stepdeck.

And what do you see as the worst disadvantage of the step?

Slim----------- I agree. No harm! No foul! But I don’t see anything new about this design. McDing

Hello Poohbah (Grand)

Carl Olsen has pointed out to me that the original intention of the stepdeck design was solely an attempt to lighten the nose. I have made no attempt to lighten the nose area at all on my boards, so I am in error by saying that my design has “all of the advantages of a stepdeck” (if one asumes that a lighter nose is in fact an advantage).

The advantages I was talking about were flexibility and a low centre of gravity, which were apparently discovered in the original stepdecks by accident.

As for the worst disadvantage of the step, I would have to choose between a high centre of gravity in the upper step area, rocker rigidity in that area, and in the case of a board with an actual step, the nuisance value of an irregular deck underfoot.

Hi McDing, thanks for your ‘no foul’ judgement. About the ‘nothing new in this design’ comment, have you ever seen boards anywhere else with a parallel profile and a constant rail section, or with such a fore and aft deck concave?

Roy,

have you ever deviated from the male-mold rocker table, and used a rocker table that was curved the other way?

ROY-------- I really didn’t notice the fore and aft concave. But yes, I have seen parallel rails and the type of outline you are referring to. It was called the Con “Ugly”. HD McDing

“About the ‘nothing new in this design’ comment, have you ever seen boards anywhere else with a parallel profile and a constant rail section, or with such a fore and aft deck concave?”

Yeah Roy. They are called modern bodyboards. They have variable flex patterns, are hella faster, way more radical maneuverabity, cheap to make and buy, very comfortable, very compact, super light, 100% safer and invented by an American.

Cha-ching

So the longbow and the sponge have something in common! :slight_smile: :wink:

Hello Poohbah,

I notice that Tom Wegener uses a female mold system. I started using male molds because they are stronger to transport (not being thin in the middle), but have wondered if there is any advantage with the female mold system. I haven’t made any, though.

Hello McDing,

Here are the plans for the Con Surfboards ‘Ugly’ model. It is apparent from the profile drawing that it does not have a parallel profile at all. The profile has considerable taper. I can’t see the rails, but judging by the thin nose and tail it would be impossible for it to have a continuous round rail section. As for the outline, it is obviously very different from the pintail design which I posted.

I conclude that my design bears little resemblance to this one.

http://members.aol.com/theugly4u/TheUglyDesign.html

“So the longbow and the sponge have something in common!”

Apparently in your mind they do!

Way to go PARKER!

Howzit!

get any waves lately?

Hiya Hal

Yes and best of all my severe headaches have gone away since I stopped surfing at KSUSA. What blessed relief. But that forum`s locals probably feel the same way, too! heh heh heh When are you going to build your 14’ x 50 lb. wood kneeboard?

Quote:

Hiya Hal

Yes and best of all my severe headaches have gone away since I stopped surfing at KSUSA. What blessed relief. But that forum`s locals probably feel the same way, too! heh heh heh When are you going to build your 14’ x 50 lb. wood kneeboard?

For the sake of all my teeth and my natural sillyness,

I’d rather play CarTag at a Nascar Event.

–Well Almost!