New "surfing" mag - and quad question.

…and , now , with a back fin too …??

booooootiful

nice spray…like the lettering in the kelp. wish i had one

Solo, You missed the tail pic … Steve sez this is his personel board for winter …

I got it, I just didn’t post it. Thanks for doing it.

I took a two day paint lesson from a professional custom auto painter and learned more in two days than in 7 years of trial and error on my own.

Below system three LPU water base urethane with cross linker example.

cost $10 for a long board

no spray booth needed, very low voc

three coats per side

total time to be able to handle 40 minutes

no sanding necessary

can buff if desired

quality sprayer essintial. My husky brand home depot $99 HVLP made the teacher laugh out loud.

Below dupont product finish

cost per longboard for 2 coats $25

Need spray booth, full protective equipment

Total time to handle 24 hours

no sanding necessary

can polish if desired

The S3 LPU can says you can brush it on & it’ll level, like a glosscoat…did you ever try that?

A quart kit is like $38. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

You finish beats the crap out of what I get with a rattle can.

My painting lesson answered that question for me also. The best way is to spray. brushing would make it too thick and you would waste too much product. I have tried it and was always back to the sander to fix. When the patagonia guys were helping me out in the 90’s, they did a urethane “wipe” with a sponge material and

home depot urethane product. They had no home depots here in those days and I started using the s3 stuff.

For the s3 you need to add the cross linker and mix then add 10% volume of water and mix, then strain mixture to your gun cup. Most importantly use a top quality spray gun(they cost 300-400 dollars). I have never tried a rattle can but have seriously thought of it.

Great stuff, CMP, thanks.

Hey CMP,

Can you share some more photos / info on the quad longboard you posted? What kind of waves was it made for?

to address the original post by Taylor:

i’ve been boning up on quads as of late and it seems as if the approach is to take a loose feeling board and make feel closer to a thruster. My std 3 fin boards takes the feel of a thruster and loose it up like a quad.

So is it 6 in one half dozen in the other?

Maybe not.

my theory is 1) a quad may work better with rail surfing on really wide tailed boards and 2) the quad’s more parallel railed outline helps create a more drivey feel then what im riding now

im definitely gonna try to build one…hope it works…if not i can always put go three fin on it as well…

cheers

…I see orangr peel finish…is not like poly gloss finish…smooth

…is more like speed finish with shine…

hey,

yeah, i think you are on to something there with the width of the tail, and how it translates to the outline - making it straighter.

most of the newer quads i have seen have been fairly wide - except for some the guns on mckee´s site. which is super informative. the guy who´s shop i am working in here has mckee´s license here, and i have been checking out his m5 set up. basically make a quad, and add a center fin. i guess you get all your bases covered.

after using the last board i made - a fish of friggin course - i am definately going to make a shortboard with quad-ability. fin boxes are key though. there are 4 times as many variable in fin selection now…