New surfing reef offshore in front of Belmont Park (San Diego)

I just saw this in today’s San Diego Union Tribune:

[indent]

"…He wants to build underground parking, hundreds of new spaces in a community starving for them.

But he doesn’t want to waste the sand excavated for the parking structure. Instead, the golden grains would be used to create a surfing reef just offshore."[/indent]

Here’s the link: S.D. businessman betting on the beach

Hmmm, I’m thinking underground parking there would be under sea level at least some of the time. I wouldn’t leave my car there for very long. Also wonder how they’d get the sand to stay where they put it for the artifical reef. Maybe bag it like at Pratt’s reef?

I picture Tommy Pratte rolling over in his grave whenever the Pratte’s Reef is mentioned. If he would have been around when that thing was made…it would have been done right or he would of disassociated himself with it.

Roger

can you tell me more about this reef?

Can you surf it? does it work?

whats funny . . .

is in front of Belmont Park, its swimming (the life guard) and surfin’s blackballed.

plus unless they set an anchor for the sand (well placed jetty) or make a rock reef . . . it’ll be gone by next season . . .

I’m sure the lifeguards could change the black ball zones around.

The article says that Tom Lochtefeld is a surfer. Tom, are you out there?

I would love to here more about this plan. The beach in front of Belmont Park is the closest break to my house (about 4 miles away). This whole area is filled with artificial breaks: OB pier, Little Jetty, North Jetty, South Mission Jetty, and PB pier. I don’t have a problem with adding another one as long as it doesn’t disturb the sand flow, and mess up the other beaches in the area.

Quote:

Hmmm, I’m thinking underground parking there would be under sea level at least some of the time. I wouldn’t leave my car there for very long. Also wonder how they’d get the sand to stay where they put it for the artifical reef. Maybe bag it like at Pratt’s reef?

The Ralph’s supermarket (or is it a Vons?) on Mission Blvd has underground parking. I would imagine that they would need to install some water pumps.

Quote:

The article says that Tom Lochtefeld is a surfer. Tom, are you out there?

I recognize him from the pic in the article. I’ve definately seen him before. I think I’ve seen him out at Big Rock several times wearing a helmet, but not recently.