New to Swaylock's, have question?

Ok. Try this. Take a tape measurer and one person stand at one end of the board with the deck (top) of the board pointing up and hold the tip of the tape measurer at the end of the board. The other person stretch the tape out and hold it at the other end (the opposite tip of the board). Read the number on the tape at the end of the board. This is the length of the board. That’s what we’ve been asking for. There’s a reason why we’re asking for the length of the board.

lol. Using BalsaBills Advanced Longitutidinal Analysis Technique shows…

suspensful pause…

drum roll…

7’2"

This is a bit of a “virtual” measurement as about 3/4" of the original tip has been broken and repaired (perhaps many times).

No matter how you follow the outside profile to measure to its probable original length it is still within 3/4" of 7’2".

7’ 1.5" as the shortest possible length, and 7’ 2.25" as the longest possible.

That board is from right around 72 … 73 … 74. Boards stagnated a bt at that time so the three years there where it could be from any. It’s got a bit of width and length so I’ll be it could have been built for a bigger guy. Probably was a custom order. That’s a Fins Ultd. short box. We used those to save just a bit of weight. Probably Wavecraft foam. Bill, was Brumett doing the pinlines then? The fin is also a FU made right there in Encinitas. Still love that Hastings color. Jeff Crawford had a bunch that color.

That board is from right around 72 … 73 … 74. Boards stagnated a bt at that time so the three years there where it could be from any. It’s got a bit of width and length so I’ll be it could have been built for a bigger guy. Probably was a custom order. That’s a Fins Ultd. short box. We used those to save just a bit of weight. Probably Wavecraft foam. Bill, was Brumett doing the pinlines then? The fin is also a FU made right there in Encinitas. Still love that Hastings color. Jeff Crawford had a bunch that color.

Gee … what happened … a double post

Definitely a Fins Unlimited box. Same system found in today’s single fin shapes and longboards. I really like the color and pinlines.

Sidenote: Anyone know if Bahne/FU gets a percentage or does some kind of licensing deal on that system? I know that their boxes have a patent # printed in the bottom of the channel. I’d imagine that getting even a small cut for every fin and box of that type would add up to a major shitload of $$$$ since the design was introduced way back when.

Patent ran out after 17 years which was now long ago.

Hey GL, I used to like that tint also. Remember when I had you shape that 7’6’’ gun for me when I went to Mexico in 1976? I didn’t trust my backyard shaping talents for a board for such serious waves. I almost drowned anyway (not your fault - all me), but the board sure looked pretty in that color. I’d still have that thing if it hadn’t gotten stolen out of my garage about 20 years ago…

Well at least we know what the 7 2 refers to. That is a long board for that time period. '72 was the World Contest in San Diego. A lot of fishes and swallow tails. Boards in the 5’6 yo 6’6 range.That would be a large board for the time for sure. I agree, a board for a bigger guy and probably a custom order.I’ll bet this board is 21" wide. A stock board that size would have sat in the PB Surf Shop for a long time. I wouldn’t try to pinpoint the year although the finbox and the logo narrow it down a bit.

That board looks like a Magic (see the board on the left in the ad above). The Magic was introduced in '68 but was made in various forms over the next…? years. Actually I think they never really quit making them. I got one in the '80’s. Basically the Magic had a wide point forward and a round or rounded pin tail. Rail configurations and bottom contours varied based on who was shaping them and what the customers were buying or ordering at the time.

Wavecraft Foam.Good memory. Actually we called it Pacific Foam too. It was the foam made across the street in “Building A”. We called it Pacific Foam when we made boards out of it and Wavecraft Foam if we sold it to other companies. I later bought the name Wavecraft from Larry and used it as an umbrella sales company for lots of products.

I don’t remember Brummet working for us. Sam Cody was the main glosser color guy in the late sixties early seventies. Jose Cota was his assistant. About '71 or '72 Sam left to move to the Islands. Laura Powers took over the glossing and she probably did the pinlines on that board. She had been working for Con and was a real good surfer and on the Con Team in the C. C. Rider and Steve Bigler days.

Cody … that’s right. So much for the memory … Brumett was up the road. Worked for Takyama amongst others. Cody was awesome. Laura Powers was also fisrt rate. I worked for Con for a bit and met her once on a trip to CA.

Yea, I think your right about that being a magic.

Mike, you bring up a good story. I was getting boards in HI for the North Shore because I wasn’t feeling good enough at the time to shape them for myself either. So I got some from Owl who was working in Brewers factory at the time. I asked him for a 7’6" so he shaped be an 8’0". He was fine sanding it at the time and said, “Gotta make this one good … don’t want anyone to say you died on an Owl.” Board did ride great … got the wave of my life on that one.

Greg, you should remember Brumett (sp?), he was the ‘‘B’’ in MTB, along with big Mully and Takayama! But hell, I got CRS too, so I shouldn’t talk…

Funny Owl story. When it’s heavy water, you want something you can trust. Kinda makes me feel better you were in that same spot once also. But you failed to tell me that you didn’t want me ‘‘to die on a Loehr’’. I’m going to try and forgive you for that one.

Wow, I just love it when one of these threads turns into a surf history lesson. I wish I’d been around back then, always sounds like a proper brotherhood thing. Still, we all have to make our own history.

Please keep this going.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this. Eric and myself are prob one more glassing session from having this board all patched up. The final measurments width and thickness are 29.5"W and 3.25" thick. Again it was awesome to recieve this much information. I am going to file it away. Be looking for me and this board out at wave near you soon!

Thanks,

Adam

You sure about the width? I’m guessing that’s a typo and you meant to say 20.5?