New to the game...

I am new the surfing and was considering buying a 7’ funboard. Everyone says they are bouyant and easy to paddle. Would this be possible to learn on? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated… Angel

I am new the surfing and was considering buying a 7’ funboard. Everyone > says they are bouyant and easy to paddle. Would this be possible to learn > on? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated…>>> Angel where do you surf? how tall are you? how much to you weigh? don’t answer them on this forum if you don’t wish to, but these are key points when purchasing a beginner board

I am new the surfing and was considering buying a 7’ funboard. Everyone > says they are bouyant and easy to paddle. Would this be possible to learn > on? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated…>>> Angel tim is right size, weight and type of surf contribute to what board to buy.On the other hand, unless you are 6’4" and 200lbs.,a 7’ funboard would be an excellent board to learn on.

We live in San Francisco, so we’ve been going to Pacifica and a few other spots on 1 (but haven’t went as far south as Santa Cruz yet). I am 5’7" 130 lbs. Thank you so much for your help/input.

tim is right size, weight and type of surf contribute to what board to > buy.On the other hand, unless you are 6’4" and 200lbs.,a 7’ funboard > would be an excellent board to learn on. …Age and physical condition is important too!Herb

I am new the surfing and was considering buying a 7’ funboard. Everyone > says they are bouyant and easy to paddle. Would this be possible to learn > on? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated…>>> Angel Welcome to the world of waveriding Angela. Id recommend getting a new or used longboard somewhere between 8’6" to 9’6" to start off with. You’ll be catching waves easier, and a longboard would be a very stable platform to get your surfing legs. Once you get comfortable on a longboard and feel the need to go shorter, its always nice to have a longboard to ride when the surf is small. FD

Welcome to the world of waveriding Angela. Id recommend getting a new or > used longboard somewhere between 8’6" to 9’6" to start off with. > You’ll be catching waves easier, and a longboard would be a very stable > platform to get your surfing legs. Once you get comfortable on a longboard > and feel the need to go shorter, its always nice to have a longboard to > ride when the surf is small.>>> FD Yea, I tend to agree with Foamdust on the length -just learning it’ll be much easier and accellerate the learning curve, but if you do go shorter look more at 7’6"-8’0" have fun learning

i agree – longboard all the way – i would recommend getting one with softer rails, a single fin, a square tail and glassed well – not traditional like 25lbs – but not performace – something in the middle that will last you and take a beating – find a local shaper – tell them what you are looking for and they will help you – you will prob even find a really good source of info in them – i would shy away from the big surf shops and do a little research (especially on swaylocks) to find such a local shaper — finding a used longboard that is ideal for you would be great – but unlikely – good luck