"New" vintage rider. Anybody know the history of it?

Picked this up this morning. It’s in really good shape, just need to grind down a couple of bad repairs and re-do them. Anyone know anything about it? The Lam says “Daytona Beach Surf Shop Custom Surfboards” and has a Clark Foam Logo in it. On the stringer it says: 94 (size) 1966 (year produced) and has an “M” which I’ve been told stands for Miller (shaper’s last name). It has a foam t-band stringer and a resin and foam tail block. The comp band is resin and is under the glass. I’ve never seen a comp band where this one is. They’re usually 12" from the nose, for scoring noserides, aren’t they?

nice find! a buddy of mine has an old board from them, too. it’s an early 1960s pig shape, with a big D-fin glassed on the tail…waayyyyy hot! enjoy…

A lot of boards from the mid-60s era had similar comp stripes. Some were much wider (12" panels) or diagonal. Nothing to do with nose-riding; it might have originated with comp stripes on cars.

My first board came from Daytona Beach Surf Shop, so I have some fond memories

of the place. Any chance I got in the summer of '67, I’d go hang out there until they

told me to go away. I bugged my parents all winter about getting me a board. Spring

of '68 I got the most “radical” stick that would fit my $100 budget.

Your well preserved example probably dates from the heydays of that shop, just before

the revolution. '66 or '67 would be my guess. The upright fin puts it in that time-frame.

I believe the “Miller” who shaped it was the owner/founder of the shop; the guys I remember

running the place when I was there were the Arsenault(sp?) brothers. John A. convinced

my impressionable brain that a 6’10" V-bottom that he couldn’t ride was the perfect board

for me to learn on. I found out that I couldn’t ride it either.

The shop was right in downtown Daytona Beach, a block off the ocean and just south of

the Main St. Pier/Boardwalk. Daytona was all (what would today be considered) small hotels,

they’re gone now, their kitschy art-deco designs replaced by giant slabs of vertical condos.

DBSS was, I believe, in a converted old house that is also long gone.

The more I look at your pics, the more amazed I am at this things condition. Where has it

been stored for the past 40 years? It sure hasn’t seen much of the Florida sun. Good score

from a classic mid-60’s Florida surf shop/mfr.

Mike

looks like a cover up

Quote:

looks like a cover up

At risk of sounding like a doofus, whatcha mean???

------------------------------------------------------>

The Daytona Beach label was in business from about 1964 to 1968. George Miller was the owner and head shaper. Your board looks like it has a foam stringer, which would date it around 66 or 67. The blue stripe might be under the gloss coat, I highly doubt it’s under the glass. As already stated, Sixties boards had all kinds of stripes, anywhere on the board.

The older boards had “Custom by Miller” printed in the lam.

I used to crave a Miller(Daytona Beach Surf Shop.)This one is great.Foam T band…foam tailblock…blue resin competition band.Volan Glass.A true East Coast classic.Probably retailed for $110.Thanx for the memories. RB

All I mean is that that stripe and color looks out of place to me. From what I’ve seen it looks like a good place for a cover up. I’m no mind reader either; it could be some bitchin competition stripe of the period.

cool board!

i have to disagree, epac. the way the band is positioned just a few inches below the logo makes me think it was there from the beginning. probably back there so you can easily find the sweet spot for where to stick your feet – front foot on the line to pivot, back foot on the line in trim.

miller really liked comp bands and resin panels. the pig shape my buddy has from him has green resin panels on the deck, and it looks gooooooooooooood!

The competition stripe was first used by Briggs Cunningham… I think at Daytona Raceway in around 1962. The rules at that time called for cars to have at least two colors so they could tell them apart as they sped down the track. Briggs didn’t want to muck up the lines of his cars, so he put a color stripe down the middle. That way when viewed from the side, the cars looked like a solid color.

My guess is the stripe was decorative. At that time, a lot of surfers were also into car racing.

Quote:

i have to disagree, epac. the way the band is positioned just a few inches below the logo makes me think it was there from the beginning. probably back there so you can easily find the sweet spot for where to stick your feet – front foot on the line to pivot, back foot on the line in trim.

You are correct on the first part. I’d say the blue band is original. Way off on the second part. Stripes and comp bands served no other purpose than decoration. They were placed just about anywhere, at the whim of the glosser or customer. My first board was a second-hand Hansen with a chevron shaped comp band that went rail to rail. It was done in black, and had the typical configuration of a wide stripe with a narrow one above and below.