newbie question

Hello, I just recently became interested in shaping my own board, Can anyone suggest some good resources on the East Coast (Close to or in NJ) I have been trying to locate longboard blanks and so far it looks like I should order them from Clark or from South Coast Foam and Fibreglass in Australia. Thank you for any help.

I would suggest that you call the clark foam hub near me (melbourne FL) (321-259-1508). Tell them where you are located. They can tell you where the closest hub is to you. Once you find that out call that hub, and find out who they recommend for glassing material. The typical resin is Sylmar 249A. This is laminating resin. Sylmar 250 is the hotcoat, which is just 249A with wax solution added. I would suggest that you just buy the 249A and get the wax solution separate. That way you can mix up what you need when it comes time to hotcoat. This also ensures that you get a good wax to resin ratio. Also premixed hot coat will go bad quicker compared to 249A. You don’t need to get anything from AUS. unless you have a lot of money to waste on shipping. As far as learning material, the JC videos (shaping 101 & glassing 101) are good but general. I heard that the Jim Phillips videos are very good and detailed (have not seen them yet). There are also some very good books out there: Essential Surfing is a good one. Good luck. Check the archives on this site for topics of interest. There is a ton of great info.

Newbie, I too am in the Jersey area and want to ship blanks. Clark does not have a hub north of N.C. Email me and maybe we can work together to save on shipping. > Hello,>>> I just recently became interested in shaping my own board, Can anyone > suggest some good resources on the East Coast (Close to or in NJ)>>> I have been trying to locate longboard blanks and so far it looks like I > should order them from Clark or from South Coast Foam and Fibreglass in > Australia.>>> Thank you for any help.

Newbie, I too am in the Jersey area and want to ship blanks. Clark does > not have a hub north of N.C. Email me and maybe we can work together to > save on shipping. Ooops.