Newbie with questions...

Hi guys, I am making a paddleboard for myself and this is the best place I have found to ask questions about fiberglassing. I have two questions.

Can you paint under fiberglass? I want to paint a design on and have seen some people paint under the fiberglass with water based paints and others say no painting under the fiberglass only on top of it.

Second; just checking that I need to sand between layers of fiberglass. For strength I want to use a 6oz then a 4 oz schedule.

Which foam and resin will you be using?

Plenty of info on painting a blank if you use google to search at Swaylocks…
Try searching for “paint blank acrylic site:swaylocks.com”

ZachA-
Search here, then poke around in the ‘Shape Shack’ at standupzone.com:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html
There is a glassing schedule thread over there for stand-ups.
If you are using a lightweight EPS 6+4 glass will probably not be enough where you are standing or kneeling all the time, you may need another patch of something else.

If it is EPS sealed either with Spackle or a coat of resin slurry and sanded smooth it can be painted. And; yes it can be painted on the sanding coat/hotcoat/filler coat after sanding smooth. Then seal the paint with a clear coat that will not affect and is compatible with the paint you are using. You should go with at least a double six ounce on the deck. You could do a deck patch of 4 or 6 oz. to prevent heel dents. Single six ounce bottom is fine. Lowel