No fiberglass belly board progression

Gunna build this thread up with more info. Will try to add pics from my phone then go to computer and add text.

These were from the original pair that I made ages ago. Donated crap foam broken board and a blank saved from the bin after someone else gave up on it. There are more pics but it gives you an idea where the design started. The Triple stringer was donated to a charity for local kids and sold at auction for 700 bucks. And the single stringer I rode prone and stand up for a few months then had someone beg me to sell it to them. So I let it go.

Current pair I’m working on.

1 Like

More pics of progress.

2 Likes

Nice.
What materials are you using?

2layers of 2mm veneer top and bottom.
Corbos of cork layers on rails. EPS core

3 Likes

Wow! Is this homebrew cncd? Do you seal the foam prior to the cork layers? I was afraid to use the cork only , cause I thought it wouldn’t be watertight.

Vacuum bagging?

want me to move this to 2024 build threads?

If you think that’s best.

Yes mate vac bagging

No I got them cut locally.

Ok here is a little bit of background on the two new ones.
Been committed to getting out of fibreglass. I have my reasons.
I had a big off cut of foam that was 1200 by 600 by 600mm I wanted to make a smaller belly board or two to use up the foam. It’s HD EPS one grade lower density that what Ellis Erickson Tom Wegener and George greenough use.
The original belly boards were about 4’4”
And the new little one is about 3’11” or something, what ever 1200 mm is in imperial. It has a chined edge on the bottom. Single concave blending into a double. Twin fins sitting at the junction between the chine where it blends out to pretty much nothing.
21 1/8 wide 2 3/4” thick. I’ll have to check the measurement later.
Tried putting rice paper decals on with just the varnish. Works for guitar head stocks so, will see. Seems good so far. Has 3 coats over it, needs one more.
Will do a run down on the bigger one that I’m making for a good friend later.

This is the future’s box in the bigger one for my mate. 67 yr old. Previously spinal fusion makes stand up surfing impossible.
Has a fibreglass belly board already that was used to base the dims off. Made it more volume, a bit more v.
He likes to ride his with a flexi single fin hence the 8” futures box. And he obviously likes a leggie not a wrist rope. Just have sealing with multiple layers of marine varnish now. So will be finished board pics soon.

Smaller one is done.

Beautiful!

Leme know if you can make out the bottom contours of the underside shot. Did it in a rush. Have not got back to the varnishing of the other yet. It still has a few coats to go.

2 Likes

Very nice!
Not 100% sure. But are those chamfered bottom rails?

Yes like a chine. Will have to get a better shot in good lights

Finished the bigger one for my mate here are some pics of it. This one does not have chined edge.

Won’t let me upload more than one or two at a time