Nor-Cal big wave guns-1, 3, 4 fins?

I want advice on the next fin set-up on a new board I want to shape. I live near the Oregon border and want to shape myself a winter gun. I ride boards (guns) in the 9-11 foot range in winter due to the size, storminess and power of the winter surf we are blessed with. I ride tri-fin clusters out of habit ( and gun availability) but lately tried a single fin gun and enjoyed it. So what, in your opinions, are the pros and cons of 1,3,and 4 fin set ups in big, thick surf? I read in Surfer’s Journal (volume 17 no. 3) that Gary LInden is promoting quads for Todos Santos. Though we do not have that degree of order in the swell we get; the thought of the maneuverability of a quad is intriguing. I think I want to shape myself a 10’0- 10’6 pintail with decent thickness throughout to catching the wave and getting down the face. The waves here, at their best, are thick, powerful, mean and bumpy.

I see the potential for changing out different fins and configurations with a five-fin set-up. My post was directed to get input on what other shapers and riders think about the pros and cons of single to multiple finned configurations for big-wave guns. Thanks.

Just add some boxes and find out for yourself and report back.

1, Is good for getting to the bottom on a sucking drop with the longer fin, and big turns.

3, is more of a set up for tighter ark turning, fast beach break, bumpy conditions, and the extra big stuff.

4, is great in hollow steep faces,reef breaks, and tubes.

It is all the same as small waves except you have to believe it is going to work when you through it over the ledge…

It’s more about what are you used to and how do you want to surf the wave?

Keep it mind that the gun design is of elements to keep the board stable at hi speed

of which in my mind I would want something that wouldnt turn too easy

as Paul Jensen states… 1

Really want a gun…? What’s the essential element of a gun?

You require positive, reliable control in hairy, heavy situations where the consequences of a f*ckup are things you’d rather not explore. You aren’t interested in rip tear and lacerate nor does havin a big mac attack mid-face interest you. You wants ta point and shoot, preferably as fast as possible. You got one chance to set your initial line and maybe some gradual adjustments after that. Down the line, maybe a large-radius cutback.

Obviously, multi-fin setups that are promised to do “all that” are gonna be mostly marketing. But surfing, particularly the retail side, has always been full of marketing the next best thing.

One fin, one wave, one man. And it doesn’t matter if it’s NorCal or North Shore. Pau!

opinionated bugger, aint’ i

Yes, you are. However, the opinions you expressed above, are true. So, it’s OK.