Nose Concave

What kind of nose concave shapes do you guys find the most productive for hang time and why? (ie. tear drop, deep dish, taper in taper out oval, streight channel, etc.)

flat or belly

“Blended” concaves work best for me.

There are lots of schools of thought on this subject. All shapers approach it differently. I have three longboards that all nose ride quite well but of the three the 9’10" Hap Jacobs is so solid and fast that I have to say that Hap’s approach to bottom, rocker and rail configuration has to rank amoung the very best. This board really doesn’t have a center section. The nose concave, which runs all the way across the bottom of the board, transitions very quickly into a gradually increasing vee in the tail section. The board is a dream to ride and paddles like a rocket. It’s a Volan glassed single fin pintailed signature board. I’d put it up against anything in a nose riding contest. I wouldn’t be the guy ridin’ it cause I’m not a good enough surfer. You may ask how can I say this? ~ Because I have friends who surf quite well and all of them call it the the ultimate longboard experience. Mahalo, Rich

Sorry for the oversight ~ I screwed up on the heading. Good Surfin’, Rich

Yah- Carls got It light blended into belly through the back. in my opinion the roll in the bottom is the most important part…

Yeah, a nice rolled bottom that smoothly transitions into 60/40 or 50/50 rails… I find that the idea on nose riders is to not have any surfaces on the board that water can shear off of. Any kind of edges or angular surfaces will allow water to come unstuck from your board… resulting in either speed or slip outs. Both not good when you are trying to hang right in the pocket. [wink]

I know a concave has curve from rail to rail, but should it have curve from the front to back of the concave?