Noserider dimensions and rocker

Pardon my ignorance, I’m planning my first attempt at shaping. I was looking through the archives for some help on shaping a 10’ summer cruiser (I know, I’m starting a little late!). I’m thinking about the 10’1"Y blank ordered with reverse rocker based on some of the earlier posts. The finished dimensions would be in the following range; 19-20" N x 23-24" x 15-16" T and 3.125-3.25 thick - any suggestions or advice? One rocker post said; “Ive used the 10’1"y natural rocker,and ordered it with reversed rocker.It worked really well.You just have to put a little chine from the nose,back about three feet to loosen the rail up so it does not stick. It’s a great glider,with a very nice feel in the tail.Easy turning,great nose ride’s.” What’s a “chine”? Another post mentioned thinning the tail down to a 1/4" thickness. Would this accomplish the same thing as a chine? Any help, advice, suggestions, etc. would be very appreciated.

Click link. Also look up chine in glossary. You should check out a book called “Surfing Essentials”. It has a lot of good info. A chine rail diagram plus a bunch of other goodies. http://www.surfresearch.com.au/aga.html

Click link. Also look up chine in glossary.>>> You should check out a book called “Surfing Essentials”. It has > a lot of good info. A chine rail diagram plus a bunch of other goodies. Dave, a chine is something like a bevel on the edge of a mirror these work fine but be careful sanding your edges. An easier way to make a nose rider release and turn even while your on the nose is to put some very gentle v thru the nose and then put a narrow concave approx 8" wide in the centre of the v and run the concave right out over 30 to 40 inches so it fades into the flat thru the mid section of the board.You don’t want a speed bump where your concave finishes.Full width concaves under the nose tend to suck down and not release whereas having the gentle v running off the side of the concave(effectively a large chine with no definite edge out near the rail) water will be sheared away from the nose instead of rolling onto the deck.And as for the thinned out tail I suggested that was to compensate for having a wider tail for flotation due to surface area. A nice thin tail will cut in to water nicely when put on it’s edge. And the extra tailkick helps turn that big nose and hold up in the wall when your on the tip… Best of luck…