Noserider Selection

First off, new to the forum, been researching information on here for some time and decided to join!

Originally from Long Island and now here in San Diego. I am on short boards and have done a lot of exploring on that front in different shapes and designs. Have found the waves here are often suited to a longboard often during the warmer months and am looking at my first noserider. A friend was able to guide me and a lot of reading/videos helped. I am looking at picking up a used board and have spotted a couple I could use some validation on take make a good first choice. I am 200lbs, 6’-1" and hoping to capitalize on the great features of a true nose rider on waves at tourmaline, San O, etc. Opinions/advice on the following boards I spotted greatly appreciated.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/sgd/d/96-eric-christenson-noserider/6287237694.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/96-ohana-noserider-longboard/6302371490.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/100-robert-august-noserider/6300358902.html

Currently under the impression a 9-6 or 10-’ would be a good size. There are larger options but I’ve heard that may be a little more difficult to maneuver. Ultimately would like to ride it, have fun up forward in the smaller surf. The Eric Cristenson looks beautiful and seems to capture all the design features. The Ohana Kemp is a good price, can’t spot any spoon but may ask for another picture. The Robert August looks great but not maybe a little thinner at the nose/a little too pointed?

Thanks in advance if you have a minute!

If you’re looking for the one trick pony (noserides in small conditions and doesn’t outrun a slow wave) then the Christensen has the wide square tail block, rounded rails in the tail and the finbox mounted all the way back - this enables the trailing edge of the fin to overhang the tail in back. These features will contribute to keeping the tail engaged while you’re up front.

The What I Ride design is a bit more versatile, has a wider range and is most likely easier to turn. The finbox for the Ohana is way far forward by comparison so I wouldn’t expect it to have the hold of the Christensen.

But that’s just an opinion. Others may disagree.

…you sounds like a guy with good vibes!
GDaddy is right about to have an all around, but for the price and if that R August is specifically a noserider (you need to know more about the rocker specially the last 1/3 of that. Also have a fin the EC does not and that is other amount to add.

The green one looks a bit amateurish regarding the others.

At 200 lbs., I would choose the RA @ 10’. Don’t fall into the “how short can I ride” mentality when considering a classic longboard. IMO, 10’ would be the ideal length for what you have in mind.

Eric makes really nice boards, that would be my choice of those three. I had a 10’ Robert August that I really liked but it was not that model. Ohana Kemp used to be shaped by a guy here in Newport, I was never really impressed by them. I am 6’0" 225lbs and that EC would work great for me.

Thank you all, got a lot of constructive feedback on a few key things here and it put a few things together for me. I emailed the guy about the Robert August to get more info and so far no response, but I’ll wait to hear back. I contacted the shop where the EC is and it should still be available.

ON the far end of the spectrum, does something like this just push so much water its not going to be maneuverable at all, or like a big wide boat? Its a 10’-6" and the shape just struck me as a stand up paddle board meant for the bay and not waveriding… Interested more for the sake of understanding…

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/d/surfboard-infinity-noserider/6249736885.html

I agree with tsimpson. A 10 footer is the correct length for a 200lb rider. Back when all boards were over 9’ that was a typical size for someone in your weight range.
I noticed you mention “spoon”? You need to know that a nose concave is not a spoon. Spoon refers to a dished out deck in the front third (or so) of a board. The two main schools in noserider design are the dead flat bottom with turned down rails, aka “wing tip” or “toilet seat” nose, or the nose concave. The concave is what was found on the Hobie and Bing noseriders of the 60s. It is also seen on many other noserider designs like the August, Takayama, etc. It is nothing like a spoon.
This pic is from the first ad for the Hobie Noserider. It shows the bottom of the board and the nose concave.

Thanks for clearing that up, i think there are probably quite a few others confused as to what the term is actually referencing… No word on the 10’ RA, I think its probably off the market. The EC is still available as far as I know though but not sure if that’s a few inches too short now?

A nose rider model is not going to offer much in the way of high performance maneuverability. You will also likely find out that a ‘nose rider’ will not allow you to simply get out on the tip and hang ten any time you want. Skilled nose riders are generally fleet footed and do a lot of position shifting… only occasionally getting to the tip for any length of time and then scooting back quickly.

At 200 lbs you would do well to consider the advantages of a large board and experiment in all kinds of waves until you find that sweet spot on the nose.

Yes. Many people seem to think that “spoon” refers to the concave seen on many noseriders. These are usually people who don’t know much about surfboards, and 60s designs in particular. A spoon is essentially a stepdeck.
Don’t even get me started about the misuse of the term “soft top”.

Sound advice John, thanks. Called on the RA, the owner has no idea what model it is, but it was mentioned on here it could be the “what I Ride”, anyone know for sure. The owner told me the only thing he knows about it is that the Robert August logo is different than that of other boards. Not familiar enough with line to notice any differentiation.

At 9’6" it’s not too short. That 10’6" will paddle easy but be really hard to turn.

He also mentioned just says “RA Shapes” on the board, no signature anywhere…

Not sure no signature means anything. but RA used to do some boards with SurfTech. The owner may not know what a Surftech is (or is hoping you don’t).