Not sure what to make of this

So today i did a supposedly opauqe job with a royal blue. Turned out a tint and i have mo idea why. It looked like a opauqe on the stirring stick. Then i went too work it into the board, and in like 10 minutes it was a super thick gel. I had no time to get the rails all nice and wet and pulled out. It was 1qt of poly with 15ml of MEKP. I have no idea what went wrong. What can i do next time to increase working time and get a true solid opaque? 

Thanks

Angus-

Well…was the color a tint or was it an opaque? I mean labeled on the jar…

If its an Opaque you just didnt use enough… If its a tint… well the whole jar might not have gotten it solid.

What temp was the air temp when you were working?

You kicked that pretty hot. I would drop it down to 5cc(5 ml) and you can throw in a little uv cure if you need to build fast.

To get a good solid opaque either use opaque pigment or a good healthy dose of tint ( if trying to cover a large area I wouldn’t go the tint route)

If you did get pigment you must not have added enough. If you just use a little bit it will go down like a tint. You can do a little test piece, it always looks darker on the stir stick.

its a boat building pigment, so tints do not exist. Its a solid blue for sure. So what can i do about this color? Add another layer of glass and color it? Or should i add color to my hot coats? 

And yes 15ml i now realize is shooting that stuff crazy hot haha, how long will 5ml give me?

Ok.  Let me guess.  808 is your zip code and you live in Oildale.  Or.  808 is your area code and you live somewhere in The Islands.  Either way the air temp while you were working was most likly in the 70’s or 80’s.   Add that to the fact that you over catalyzed the piss out of it and Voila!  Also boat pigments suck.  Especially dark blues.

Right On McDing! 

boat building pigment is all i have. Im the only shaper and glasser around here that seemingly wants to mess with color. Ill just order some of the internet i guess. And i live south of boston. My zip code isnt 808 haha, also it was about 62F out with no heat in my shed. What would u reccomend for pigment sourcing? Foam-ez is way too expensive and far away. Greenlight? maybe…

haven’t priced pigments/tints but I like the guys at fiberglasssupply.

Tap plastics also sells pigments/tints and they have 'em on the shelf at the store.

What i came up with to fix it

Fiberglass Hawaii in Ventura, Ca.  Phone # is on the website.  Ask  for Wade or Gigi.  Opaques,tints etc intended for surfboards.  Lots of colors and the best prices.

Actually since you are on the East Coast I’d say yeah;  Greenlight.  I’ve ordered a couple of things from them and had them shipped to Oregon.   Got my stuff in 3-4 days.  Yeah Bryan’s cool and easy to deal with.  Check there website.   Have you seen a big fat bald-headed guy out there at the Cape on a SUP??

How did you come up with that?

No one mentioned or wrote “808”, including the OP.

I wouldn’t be too sure about that.

Come to think of it i have seen that dude. Kinda a legend actually, the locals had a nickname for him… Canr remember what it is though. And any tips on cutting laps? I just cut one, and my god was it messy. Well messy to me and i have very high standards for my stuff. I could hardly see the tape, and i couldnt peel up the tape without pulling the glass up to cut under the tape. The struggle. 

Come to think of it i have seen that dude. Kinda a legend actually, the locals had a nickname for him… Canr remember what it is though. And any tips on cutting laps? I just cut one, and my god was it messy. Well messy to me and i have very high standards for my stuff. I could hardly see the tape, and i couldnt peel up the tape without pulling the glass up to cut under the tape. The struggle. 

No one who rides an SUP can legitimately be referred to as a “legend”. Especially on the Cape.

Duuudde!  I really shouldn’t waste my time, but residents in both “Locales” are often referred to as “O8’ers”,  Never had much of a sense of humor.  Did ya??  Comment wasn’t meant for you obviously.  So flipit bro-dude.

Double the tape so that you can feel the edge under the boat opaque.  Triple if necessary.  Braile cut-laps.