Nugget based on a McCoy as a thruster.

.Love comes tumbling down.  Selah.

Gazro, I sincerely apologize for taking this thread down this path. I think that Checker Taxi nugget is awesome. I bet your next board will be just as nice, if not even better. I didn’t add any input about the fin placement because I don’t think I have the proper knowledge to help. What Probox Larry is doing with the 5 fin boxes seems to be very similar to what Keone Downing is doing with his Slipah design which is very similar to a nugget. Larry puts in the longboard center box which I think adds the best of all worlds. My brother’s surftech Nugget has a longboard center box and 2 side boxes. He rides it with the gullwing fin and he rides it as a thruster. I’ve ridden it as a thruster, but it’s 7’ 10" and a bit too much board for me. 

Solo, my brother has posted his reviews of the board’s he’s gotten from you. We are different, and we like different things. He’s also about 30 pounds heavier, and surfs waves that are very different from what I surf.

As a board builder, I think the Nugget design has a lot of great things, but I don’t exactly like everything about it. I made a 3 fin version of the nugget which is based on a Downing slipah but I took out all the things that “I didn’t like” about the original McCoy and Downing boards, and I love it. I made it for my brother and he likes it so much he has it on display in his office. I don’t get to ride it these days, but I shaped it, skinned it with wood, glassed it and made the fins. 

My question is simple, I think it has validity for all of us since you jump on every thread about a McCoy design and talk about things like the expert you obviously are. I think you owe all of us the answer, but I have never once seen that publicly since the whole thing exploded. Even on the thread in the Industry Talk section Geoff McCoy started where you posted the meaningless cover letter to your agreement. 

I’ll just keep asking as politely as I can. What is your agreement with Geoff McCoy and his boards? 

.Have fun. Build a board.  Go surf.  communicate your stoke.    

Thanks guys for all the kind comments about my boards, I take a lot of pride in my boards like many other swaylokers and the bit about pointy nose injuries. Why do people still build like this this is a serious matter.

Thanks guys for all the kind comments about my boards, I take a lot of pride in my boards like many other swaylockers and the bit about pointy nose injuries. Why do people still build like this this is a serious matter.

A lot of surfboard building is about tradition and expectations. People learn on pointy boards, and have watched the top surfers ride pointy boards their whole surfing lives. People are buying what they think a surfboard should look like. I think safety is hardly a thought for most customers.

I wonder how much pointy noses help with recovery from some turns.  Whenever i've buried a pointy nose coming out of a turn, its just scythed through the water and come out again without significant loss of speed. I can imagine a rounded nose, with a more abrupt resistance, causing more issues.

I imagine the main reason for them is cosmetic to keep the curbes nice and clean though.

[quote="$1"]

Thanks guys for all the kind comments about my boards, I take a lot of pride in my boards like many other swaylokers and the bit about pointy nose injuries. Why do people still build like this this is a serious matter.

[/quote]

Sorry the thread got derailed for a small while. 

I don’t think Points have any point. Ha ha.   You can still have a narrow nose and lose the point. I think it looks better than way anyway.

One of my old boards.

[img_assist|nid=1051290|title=Cheyne Zap|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=183]