off center stringer

Just got a custom board made and the stringer looks off center(around an 1/8"). Looks as if took a little off one side than the other. How do i measure that? Is it from the 12" from the bottom, or some measurement from the rail? The center of the board is OK. Also, if it is off center the trailing fin was cut using the stringer as the center. What’s the effect of this? Can he cut the fin box out and replace it to the center? Thanks for your help.

Sometimes the stringer has a little wow in it that can fool ya. I’m shaping a 7’4" and couldn’t quite figure why things looked strange. Keith Melville pulled out a chalk line which we held at the tip and tail. Gave it a slap and the middle of the board was almost a 1/4 " off! Try it and see if the stringer is straight. All said and done, 1/8" asymetry in the outline probably won’t affect the way the board works. 1/8" in fin placement might though.

If it really bother’s you, you should take it back and talk to the shaper about it.

Quote:

All said and done, 1/8" asymetry in the outline probably won’t affect the way the board works. 1/8" in fin placement might though.

Once, with a blank with a really twisted stringer i realiced why it was so important to measure fin placement taking the rail as a reference and not the stringer as i did on my first boards.

Coque.

Does it matter if the stringer is “twisted”? How does it happen? Thanks a lot for your help, I have been stressing over it for a couple days now.

Almost no blank has a perfectly straight stringer. This happens because foam is such a flexible material. Clamping when glueing the stringer may cause some distortion or it may be a bad cut of the blank. I believe it has no adverse effect on strength and in fact the only drawback is for the guy who shapes the blank since the stringer is supposed to be the symetry axis.

Many experienced shapers make their own straight line at the start of shaping.

Stringers are not straight enough.