OK, I Messed Up

All right.  I'm a newbie glassing my first longboard and messed up the lam colors pretty bad.  I guess it wasn't good to try to do a lime green and white opaque pigment separation my first time out!  There is no way I want to leave it the way it is. 

What do I do? 

1) Do a colored hotcoat.

2) Acrylic paint on the hotcoat. Because I have to do most of the surface of the board, would the gloss coat stick?

3) Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

JK

got any pics?  whats the problem? 

No pics (I don't know how to upload pics to the site).  It looks like crap.  I really muddied the whole thing and want to try to "start again". 

Hard to comment without pictures.  You really need to get some pics up, if you're going to ask for help with color problems (or really almost any problems).  This has been up for 7 hours - I guarantee if you had some good pics, you'd have a half dozen good responses, and probably as many worthless ones, with some arguments insults and a pint of braggadoccio thrown in for good measure.  No pics, and you get me.  Can you post pics to flickr or picasa or something, and then just give us a link?

This happened top and bottom?  You were going for a swirl type effect, and it turned to mud?  I can't even picture lime green and white coming out to mud color, but without pics I'll have to take your word for it.  Was it a green tint (transparent) or an opaque green pigment?

You could add pigment to the hot coat, and see what happens.  You know that it won't color as well as the lam coat, and it will sand thru easily.

If its just the bottom, then when you do the top, you could go with a darker opaque, or just darken the resin up where it drips over the rail - and then do a cut lap with a pin line.  Maybe a tail patch with the same.  Then the muddy part will just be background, and might not look so bad after all.

This one was supposed to be orange and clear glass, but I used a contaminated squeegee and got some orange in the clear.  So I just spattered a bit of orange, and acted like it was supposed to be that way.  Then I added orange tint to the deck patch.  With the darker rails and pin lines, it looks pretty good.  Now that its done, I don't even think about how it got that way, except when the subject comes up here.

Another thing you can do is paint it after you're done.  This (below) was an epoxy GSI board that was broken in two.  After I put it back together, I just spray painted the whole thing with some appliance epoxy from Lowes.

I know what you did,,,

you were trying to get two separate panels, one white and one with color, then you squeegied the color across the white ,,, back and forth and back and forth and it mudded on ya,,,,, didnt it?

there is no fixing it ,,, you justy learned a valuable lesson,,,, there is a learning curve to glassing.

some guys will direct you on how to hide it and you can go that way if you want.

but I suggest you leave it and move on to finish it

Ive seen Hucks orange board,,, It looks good ,,, Ive seen finger prints on boards and those can be saved by adding hand prints,,,

but my friend mud is mud, and it probly aint as bad as you think,,, just not what you wanted.

Here's a photo of the bottom.  My idea was to go with a couple bands of green with white opaque as a base.  Didn't even come close to what I wanted to do.  Not a great picture, but it actually looks better in the picture than it really is.  I was getting green in places I didn't want.  There are drips and streaks of green throughout the white sections (My squeegee was contaminated also). 

I really don't want to leave it.  I was thinking about doing another layer of 4 oz. on the bottom with dark pigment to cover it all up.   Might be a like heavier, but, it could fix it.

Leave it

it has charactor

but if you must, go ahead, throw some more resin on it..

lets see if you can hide it,,,, remember ,,, its your first glass job.

do you realy think you can pull it off?

Thanks. Haven't decided what to do yet.  This was a replica of my David Nuuhiwa stepdeck pintail.  I know I should have sent this one off to the professionals, but, wanted to give it a go.

[quote="$1"]

I know I should have sent this one off to the professionals, but, wanted to give it a go.

[/quote]

You'll never get good at it by farming it out - I find it much more satisfying to do the whole thing myself start to finish, including stuff-ups.  It doesn't look half bad.  Polish it, wax it, surf it, ding it, repair it, life goes on!

What I would do would be to ink it up after sanding.  This will make the colors separate and pop.  Posca pens, and a little bit of effort, and it will look better than you ever imagined.  

[quote="$1"]

What I would do would be to ink it up after sanding.  This will make the colors separate and pop.  Posca pens, and a little bit of effort, and it will look better than you ever imagined.  

[/quote]

Good suggestion.  Do a search of the archives for "posca pens" - it will blow your mind!

Hello Sir, I'm standing here staring at my latest color job.....thinking about what went right and what went wrong.......just like you....finish the board as is. Learn. Do another one and keep going.....is the center section white pigment or clear...did you pull the color from center to rail...or...from tip to tail....no right or wrong...think about it...I don't want a reply....I want you to think about the options...put fins on it and go surfing...water does not care..........Ray

Thanks for the help.  I want to learn and that's why I'm here. 

Better to "leave and learn" from my mistake.  I might play with the Posca pens a little on it.  I'm sure I'll be doing another shape down the road in the not too distant future.    

It took awhile, but, I fixed the screw up I did on the lam on my stepdeck longboard.  I attached a pic of the finished product.  The gloss coat took way to long to kick and resulted in smearing the logo a little.  I'm pretty happy with it other than it sort of looks like a painted board. 

Thanks to everyone for your advice.  It helped.  I certainly learned a few lesson on this first attempt to glass one myself.

Thanks,

Jeff

[quote="$1"]

It took awhile, but, I fixed the screw up I did on the lam on my stepdeck longboard.  I attached a pic of the finished product. [/quote]

So, what did you end up doing - painting and glassing again over the paint?  The colors are not my cup of tea, but I have to say, it does look pretty darn good from here.

The colors aren't great.  Not much of a choice when you're shooting out of a rattle can! 

I sprayed the board with color, then hit it with a water based clear acrylic.  Ended up doing a gloss coated of resin on top.