one big dirty fisheye

Fill coated my first epoxy board yesterday and plan to do the bottom tonight. It came out real well apart from one hilarious thumb print fisheye exactly where I would have picked up the board. Must’ve worn the thumb out of the nitrile glove or something.

What’s the best way to deal with it? Its about 1/2" circle and just a nice neat crater down to the weave. Can i touch it up when I fill coat the bottom tonight? What is the best way to prep it?

Thanks

IF it is epoxy, then you will get a good chemical bond if you touch it up within 24 hours. If you wait longer then you’ll have to sand it first.

You might try ‘scraping’ the fisheye with the corner edge of a razor blade. Maybe even try dabbing a bit of Additive F or Xylene before adding some mixed epoxy. Be watchful for accuracy when mixing small amounts. Don’t worry about blobbing it on. You can sand it flush later. I’ve had some contamination when using epoxy over redwood that continued to form fisheyes even after multiple layers of epoxy with sanding in between.

Ive had my best luck with sanding and using epoxy that has cured a bit and is in a thicker peanut buttery state and scraping it on with a razor.

I use epoxies all day long but never to build boards so take that advice with that in mind.

Just sand it as is. You’d be amazed how much epoxy is really in the fish eye. If after sanding the board appropriately if there is Still a depression…then you fill it.

To make the fisheye go away, wipe the fisheye with denatured alcohol, then sand a bit to scuff up. Give the area something to mechanically bond to.

Last weekend I did an epoxy glass job. It was over 100 degrees here. I did both lams and the hot coats between between 2:00 pm and 6:00pm. I’m not telling you this to be like…ohh I’m so great, but more to tell you, " try to get the board done and hot coated as fast as possible. The more an epoxy glass job sits around, the more weird shit you will have happen in the hot coat.

Thanks guys, just sanded a bit and cleaned with dna. Glooped in a bit of epoxy and ut seems good to go. Just got to keep it warm for a few days before sanding. Its starting to cool down here in Ireland.

I predict some uv cure boards over winter.

thought Sodabread was more advanced … yes to all comments… some times a little dab of resin goes a long way…
keep it going…

I made one board with epoxy a few years back and I took this approach. After reading about blush and the like I decided to flip the board as soon as possible and finish everything in half a day. It worked out fine, and also I reckon I got a pretty decent chemical bond as a result.