one drop tint*

i read a Hobie add in the latest Long./Mag. the board listed had a “one drop tint.” what does it do? volan effect?

i read a Hobie add in the latest Long./Mag. the board listed had a > “one drop tint.” what does it do? volan effect? …It’s used to give a hew to the foam rather than a stronger color,yeah,like the tint in volan.It’s also used to give background or enhance airbrushing…One time I made a board with fake stringers and added a drop of forest green to the lam.Every one thought it was a triple stringer,with a t-band center in volan,when in fact it was a common blank,and silane glass.Herb

on most boards with a deck patch you can see it. is this because it was tinted a little bit? or just the natural color difference against the foam.

Actually, on most boards with a deck patch, you CAN’T see it unless it’s volan cloth or tinted lam.

on most boards with a deck patch you can see it. is this because it was > tinted a little bit? or just the natural color difference against the > foam. For a couple of years now , to save production cost but still get the ‘retro’ look the trick was to use volan cutlap bottoms with volan kneepatch and silane clear non-cutlap tops(about $20.less) it is faster/cheaper/lighter/still retro looking! The kneepatch is green-hued through the clear top.

i read a Hobie add in the latest Long./Mag. the board listed had a > “one drop tint.” what does it do? volan effect? I was at Hobie’s a short while back and Mark Johnson, factory manager, showed me the new boards. The color work was great, Watermans Guild glassing by Greg Martz. The tints were ultra light, ala “one drop tint”. In the early sixties when I was shaping and glassing for Challenger, we would do light tints all in hoat coat resin,hot coating just as each side was going off, sand the laps between sides and install the fin at the same time the bottom was being done. The laps were only slightly darker than the flats and with no trim line visible and were very attractive.