one drop tint

Revisiting this thread. What’s a good technique to bring out the coke-bottle green hue of the Volan cloth a little more? I’m using double 8 Volan, but want it a little darker, more intense. More layers of lighter cloth, or the so called “one drop tint” of green (forest green?) If it’s the one-drop method, can anybody recommend a PMS (Pantone) number that’ll do the trick? Thanks - Gregg>>>I was at Hobie’s a short while back and Mark Johnson, factory manager, showed >me the new boards. The color work was great, Watermans Guild glassing by Greg >Martz. The tints were ultra light, ala “one drop tint”. In the early sixties >when I was shaping and glassing for Challenger, we would do light tints all in >hoat coat resin,hot coating just as each side was going off, sand the laps >between sides and install the fin at the same time the bottom was being done. >The laps were only slightly darker than the flats and with no trim line >visible and were very attractive.

Revisiting this thread. What’s a good technique to bring out the > coke-bottle green hue of the Volan cloth a little more? I’m using double 8 > Volan, but want it a little darker, more intense. More layers of lighter > cloth, or the so called “one drop tint” of green (forest green?) > If it’s the one-drop method, can anybody recommend a PMS (Pantone) number > that’ll do the trick? Thanks - Gregg 10oz Volan is the real “coke-bottle” my friend.

Not 16oz?>>> 10oz Volan is the real “coke-bottle” my friend.

So single 10oz has a deeper green than double 8?

So single 10oz has a deeper green than double 8? NO, I MEAN GLASSING USING 10oz INSTEAD OF 8oz IS THE 60’S NORM, RESULTING IN A GREENER HUE, BUT A DROP OF GREEN TINT WOULDN’T HURT EITHER, I OWN A DEEP COKE BOTTLE TAKAYAMA, IT’S 10oz BOTTOM AND DOUBLE 10oz W/KNEE PATCH TOP, THE DECK WAS DOUBLE OVERLAPPED GIVING 20oz OF 3 FINGER COKBOTTLE CUTLAP ON BOTTOM, VERY NICE!!!. NICE LOOK, GOOD LUCK!

Interesting point about the kids and stuff from the above post. ANYHOOO I was wondering how long your Takayama is and also how heavy it is. I am about to glass a board with those same specs and was curious. Drew>>> NO, I MEAN GLASSING USING 10oz INSTEAD OF 8oz IS THE 60’S NORM, RESULTING > IN A GREENER HUE, BUT A DROP OF GREEN TINT WOULDN’T HURT EITHER, I OWN A > DEEP COKE BOTTLE TAKAYAMA, IT’S 10oz BOTTOM AND DOUBLE 10oz W/KNEE PATCH > TOP, THE DECK WAS DOUBLE OVERLAPPED GIVING 20oz OF 3 FINGER COKBOTTLE > CUTLAP ON BOTTOM, VERY NICE!!!. NICE LOOK, GOOD LUCK!

Very cool!! I may also add a drop to this board, so by chance can you recommend a green that works well? A PMS number would be best. Thanks!!!>>> NO, I MEAN GLASSING USING 10oz INSTEAD OF 8oz IS THE 60’S NORM, RESULTING > IN A GREENER HUE, BUT A DROP OF GREEN TINT WOULDN’T HURT EITHER, I OWN A > DEEP COKE BOTTLE TAKAYAMA, IT’S 10oz BOTTOM AND DOUBLE 10oz W/KNEE PATCH > TOP, THE DECK WAS DOUBLE OVERLAPPED GIVING 20oz OF 3 FINGER COKBOTTLE > CUTLAP ON BOTTOM, VERY NICE!!!. NICE LOOK, GOOD LUCK!

Very cool!! I may also add a drop to this board, so by chance can you > recommend a green that works well? A PMS number would be best. Thanks!!! Just one drop of any dark green is gonna thin way down in a bucket of lam resin it’s a ‘very’ light tint, make sure you stir it real well, it will be lighter even on the board than in the deep bucket, no worries. My Takayama retro ‘wallhanger" is 10’ and heavy like 25+# or so, 10oz glass is not the norm these days, unless ordered that way, usually 8oz is in the glass factories.

I think a coke bottle is 12oz. 12oz. of coke in a bottle.

Actually, they’ve gone skimpy at 8 oz in a bottle, same price.>>> I think a coke bottle is 12oz. 12oz. of coke in a bottle.