One Surfers Story

I have severe sleep apnea, depression, coronary heart disease, among other disorders. My foolishness growing up led to many of my heath problems, and I accept the consequences. Many of my peers didn’t get this far.

I can’t remember the last time I slept through a night even when I wear my CPAP. It’s been a very long time. Lack of sleep really messes you up and if you add depression it can get hard. I have my meds and a great family. I have the waves to ride and the boards I hack out. If I can get through a few more years working in the corporate world, I can retire with good benefits. It’s hard sometimes though when you get on a down slope and you’re tired and then something happens like you get sick or hurt. That’s when it’s really hard to deal with all the shit. 

Thanks for sharing SharkC. - I feel you so hard on that one…   Even when it’s all about personal responsibility and choices, there are no guarantees any of our bests will lead to the healthiest choice at any given time.

It seems to me, no matter what the diagnosis is, if there is one, if the individual cares and wants to: “fit in,” get along, do what’s right, etc., and yet they don’t feel that is happening for them…   That’s when the negative spiral can really accelerate.

Artz, I’m sorry if I am hijacking your thread.

Life is a wild ride, and it’s a little different for each person. Ever since I was in the fifth grade all I ever wanted to do was surf. I look at life as surfing. You get a wave and once it’s over you have to paddle out to get the next one. If you want to ride waves, you need to paddle out to where they break. Sometimes paddling out is easy, sometimes it’s nearly impossible. You have to know when it’s OK to paddle out and when it’s not, and for everyone it will be different. Outside the water you still have to deal with the hassles, I think of it as paddling out in heavy water, dealing with crowds. You still have to get around obsticles, I think about it as making it past a section. Sometimes you wipe out, you just have to hope you can get back out or in safely.

Yesterday, I went out even though it was ugly. I ran into a high school friend I haven’t seen for a while and I was so happy for that. I told him that it was a nice Xmas present. Then while I was sitting I hear someone calling my name and it’s my cousin who grew up surfing Shark Country with us. His family had one of the beach houses fronting the break. Another great xmas present. The waves sucked, but I spent a lot of time talking with friends and family. That is what I look forward to, seeing friends and sharing time together, talking about all the fun crazy things we did way back when.

Both my friend Darrell and cousin Mikey are very positive people. Their energy is good to be around and I needed some of that. On Christmas Eve, I got home from surfing and my wife called to say her car was hit while she was at the market. No one hurt, but the bumper has some damage. While she was trying to sort out insurance and contact details, she was getting calls from me and her best friend. Too much happening, so she didn’t call her friend back till she got home. Turns out her best friend’s husband had just died from a heart attack. I haven’t seen my wife cry so much ever. She and Rach have been best friends since childhood. We are still numb and in shock.

Tell those you are close to how much you care about them, try to do what you can to help others. We need to keep the positive vibe up or we’ll all get pulled down. My wife doesn’t understand why I give bums money, and she often gets angry at me, but I still do it. That person in need could be related to someone you know.

I enjoy coming to Swaylocks, reading posts and learning. I have been amazed at all the knowledge I see here. I have been blessed with meeting so many surfing legends including the ones from my own home town. Thank you all for your input, a real special Mahalo Nui Loa to those who keep the stoke going, and may god bless Mike Paler for giving us this place to gather and share.

Aloha, and I hope to meet you (again for some) in 2013 to share waves and good times and surf stories.

Don’t want to start an essay here.  I went to medical school for 2.5 years and had to study a “little” shrinkology.  I too was skeptical about many of the categories.

My wifes brother’s problems escalated in his early twenties.  I thought it was equally likely it was his family environment as much as bi-polar.  Today, I couldn’t say wheter the diagnosis was correct or not.  My perspectives have changed.

However, unless you have lived in the same house 24/7/365 with somebody who suffers from depression, you really have no concept.  My son would spiral downward and it would become a feedback loop.  Later drug abuse did not help much.

Pior to oxy and xanax abuse, he saw one or two psychologists/psychiatrists – mostly they just prescribed meds.  The meds usually worked for a month or two then failed, often they actually made things worse.

With all of my background, I am here to tell you depression is real.  The sufferer often believes they are trapped in their “pit” of unhappiness and misery and that it will never end (for some it does not).

For those of us who do not suffer, being uhappy or “depressed” is not even close to the same.

Just sayin…

“That book and billing process might be where the 25 % of all Americans stat comes from.”

Actually, no, the billing codes were generated to meet the specific requirements of medical billing, which must link to medical records capturing all diagnosis and treatment, which must meet highly regulated protocols.

The most common form of mental illness, which is a shitty word, would be better to call it mental condition, is depression, and the most common kind of depression is situational depression.

And we all suffer from it at some time in our lives.  Loss of a loved one, getting laid off, relationships ending, major injury or illness, a rare human being indeed that has not been depressed at some point in their life.  Just a matter of degree, duration and ability to bounce back.

And for long term surfers, the kind who really went at it non-stop in heavier conditions, and usually magnified for those who had physically demanding jobs as well, the outcome is traumatic arthritis, back/shoulder/knee/hip issues, tendonitis, carpal, etc. That means a lot of pain to deal with, increasing with age until it becomes constant.

And few things can cause depression as strongly as persistent pain can, the kind you live with 24/7.

Makes you want to reach back through time to that kid selling out everything for the day, and explain to them why they might want to leave a little left…

Thanks To all for sharing thier stories here. Also many thanks to all who sent me messages. 
There are a lot of people out there that are dealing with mental Illness in their families. 

Sharkcountry, I suffered from apnea for ~15 years.  Tried the CPAP with 5-6 different breathing tubes/masks but woke up with them on the floort by the bed every morning.  Went to a EENT who performed some Medevil surgery via the nose but to no avail.  Was lookig at uvla removal and splint inplants.  During a routine visit to my dentist, I mentioned the apnea problem, the snorring, breathing stops, etc.  He suggested I see Dr Todd Morgan in Encinitas who specializes in apnea.  Short story, he (his staff) built a mouth guard type device and the change was instantaneous the first night and every night since.  Google him.

Sorry for the hi-jack Artz,

My heart goes out to families who suffer along with a member who must deal with mental health issues.  My wifes dear friend of 20 years is bi-polar.  When she is not in her room suffering, she is the funniest, most wonderful person to be with.  We offer our hand to her husband but are not skilled or knowledgable enough to make suggestions.  We’re there for them when and if the call should ever come.

My pal Jimbo Gaskins suffered from night breathing problems, they lazered his uvula, he said it was the best weight loss method he’d ever seen, cuz’ you couldn’t swallow anything, felt like broken glass

I think the laser treatment is stage 1 of the things they do. It is supposed to shrink the uvula over time. 

I did the apnea surgery stage 3 in 2000 (tonsils and uvula removed) and for 6 months I thought everything was going to be great. When I mentioned it to a friend, the first thing she said was “do you hate your doctor now?” I asked why and she said because her husband did the surgery and it was a mistake. Another friend told me the same. After 6 months I started to have sleeping problems again and they were on top of the problems I have with the uvula removed. I tell everyone I know to avoid the surgery. Without the uvula food and water go up your nostrils or air pipe, saliva will go into your air pipe. 

I believe the mouthpiece would be something that would work. Most people I know say the CPAP is the only answer, I wear mine as much as I can, but I still don’t get a full nights sleep. I think it’s because I toss and turn a lot and that tends to mess with the mask and then.

I think retirement will be the answer, no stress, no worries, no schedules. Sleep when I’m tired and do stuff when I want as opposed to working around an 8-5 schedule.