Opaque black hotcoat cover up

Hello. Tried using basalt cloth for the first time and got a burn through the cloth from my own heavy handedness. Is it possible to do a cover up with a tinted opaque black hotcoat over the top or am I better off spraying with black acrylic and then clear hoatcoating instead? Any advise us appreciated. I have tried to attach a photo.

Put a sticker over it!

1 Like

That looks tough. I would think if you did anything with color or tint you’d want to do the whole board and in that case I’d probably spray it to save weight. I did a tinted resin coat to fix a poorly tinted lam and it worked but I had to barely sand it and it made the board much heavier.

I’d almost wonder if a patch of cloth with the weave going the same way and a clean cut line with some feathering might not look the best?

1 Like

Hello Rnoll98,
That was one idea however there basalt fabric becomes a lot darker when layered so would require precision that I, unfortunately, don’t possess.
With the tinted coat I was thinking of still keeping the rails basalt exposed as it is beautiful and possibly taping off the base decal and later clear coating it.
The weight part does concern me mildy, however it’s come out pretty light already and is no exactly high performance given the 6’7" length.
I’m happy to just do the base as the top is left as a cut lap.
I’ll attach a picture which also shows the extra darkness of layered basalt if it helps.
I’m still leaning towards a spray on the base as well.
All opinions and help are always welcome, except"put a sticker on it"

2 Likes

Beautiful board. I really like the look of the cloth. More options if weight isn’t an issue.

1. Spray/paint just the spot so the color is close and then do another layer of cloth. It’ll be darker but at least uniform.

2. Sand it more all over the cloth till you touch the cloth everywhere including rails. Spray all the cloth white and do another cloth layer just for the look. Nobody will know the first layer is even there. It will also probably be easier to sand evenly because the rail cut lap from the top glass won’t be a ridge anymore.

3. Building on the sticker idea, a dark square rail patch with a white logo might look intentional.

It’s all about the compromise at this point. Time and $ (and weight) vs how perfect it needs to look.

1 Like

Hello

Thanks for your help Rnoll98.

I ended up doing a black pigment hot coat cover up.

It’s still not perfect but I feel much happier in my space with light burn throughs to basalt than burn throughs to white.

Alot learnt for next time.

It may not be beautifully perfect but I hope it flies with the effort put onto the foam.

Thanks again.

Solid. I like it. The pinline makes it pop too! Have fun on it!