ordering a custom XTR and input wanted

This is the email I sent to Javier at epoxy pro about getting a custom XTR board (I’m waiting to here back still). I’m looking for any other input as this is only my third custom board I’ve ordered. At the surfermag.com forum, the only input I got was, “if you’re such an advanced surfer, you should know what shape you need.” I haven’t owned many boards in my surfing career, and they were usually bought used for a cheap price, so I still need advice when I’m gonna shell out $500 for a board. I appreciate the help.[/url]

“I want to order a custom surfboard from Javier and want to discuss the dimensions.

I am 5’11 1/2” and weigh 185 lbs. I consider myself an advanced surfer and currently ride a 6’4 x 19 1/8 x 2 1/2 roundtail and a 6’2 x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2 squash. My 6’2 is a small wave board with lots of volume and lower rockers, single to double concave with a vee out the tail – it works great in small (1-4’) or sloppy/weak surf. My 6’4 is for better, hollower waves from 3-6’+, single to double concave with a little more rocker and less volume (but still more than off the rack boards). I want another small wave board in XTR so it will be light and snappy – my current 6’2 is 6x6 top with S cloth for durability and is HEAVY. I plan on using the futures 3/2 vector fins with the hatchet rear fin on the new board. I would like to discuss the dimensions for the new board. I believe a board around these dimensions is what I’m looking for: 6’ – 6’1 x 19 1/4 -19 1/2 x 2 7/16 – 2 1/2 swallowtail with enough foam to float me. I want a board that can be surfed from 1-4’+ in all around conditions – beachbreaks and points.

Matt”

I’d ADD 3/4" in width and subtract a full 1/4" in thickness.

Possibly a squash tail for most area to plane up, wide, shallow concaves for response, either add or keep the same tail rocker depending what you like about your current “heavy” small wave board.

Glassing schedule should only be recommended “light” or “durable”. Let them decide, since they know what works for their system.

keep in mind XTR will delam if u leave it in your car, in the sun…anywhere where its gonna get hot, and i know it gets hot down there in the summer/fall, u mihgt want to go the EPS route. As far as your demensions, i would recomenned going 19.5 on the width for more float, swallow or squash your preference…if you’re going to be surfing alot of hollow beach break rather then mushy surf kick up the tail rocker, i would go prob 6’1 and if you surf off your back foot remember to telll your shaper to make the wide point behind your front foot, the further back the more back foot driven it will be. If you want it to be snappier…cluster your fins closer together, note the placement of where they are on your main boards now.