PAD disengage

…hello, 30 years using Powerpads and some ferropads among others; couple of months ago I bought flex pads and is almost impossible to disengage it from the sander.
I have all lubed and do not tight the pads etc.
With the powerpads I use 2 wrenches but the flexpads do not have that possibility.

How do you proceed?

Thanks

Channel lock
as close to the shaft
and a little attitude

There is a technique, using a karate like strike with the heel of the hand, to loosen a stuck pad. A quick chop, at an angle, on the rim of the pad, in a counter clockwise direction, does the trick. Might take two or three strikes to loosen the pad. I have NEVER failed to loosen a stuck pad, with this method.

I’ve had that same thing happen, they occasionally get really stuck and Flexpads do not have the metal nut like powerpads.

I just keep at it, slowly increasing turning pressure

…Mattwho, I massaged with plenty of force the smaller 6" one; I needed to use lubricant and let it there for awhile.
Bill, the problem with that technique is with this other “new” flex pad model, that is way soft (for glosses) and I doubt that it can take too much abuse.
Bud (weiser); yes, the ferro pads do not have too BUT the threads are made from steel so is easier to disengage; the plastic ones tend to grip with the rpms and the heat involved.
Bad designed.

I’ve never had an issue. we’ve gone through easily a hundred or more in 5 years. We do lube the threads with silicone.

…interesting tip. Liquid silicone? I will try it. Thanks

I agree. I have had absolutely no probs with Flex-Pads. They are my favorite. Although limited in intended use. Ferro is a quality product.

I am also having stuck pad issues. I have been using the red one that is stuck on my sander because I cannot get it off. I’m sure if I put in some actual effort I could get it off, but shes pretty stuck on there. I was honestly just thinking of going and getting another sander or two from harbor freight and having a sander for each pad. A very cost ineffective idea, but less frustrating than changing pads I cannot remove.