Paging Mr. Thrailkill... Surf Systems Sooooo Sweet!

Dang, guys, I got me a good one here! Just picked up this 7’ “Surf Systems”. I am not trying to value or appraise it, cuz it is so effing cool, I can’t imagine ever wanting to sell it. I’m thinking it’s about 1970-ish, and it has a  standard box replacing (probably) a “w.a.v.e.s.e.t” variety. Miraculously good condition for it’s age, the repairs are crude but appear to have been done conscienciously, as there are no detectable delams or soak stains. It was worth the cash just to look at it, feel it, and put it under my arm. Fortunately, it won’t take much to get it in the water, though, and I am excited to try this (radical) example of displacement, changing times, beatiful lines… seems it will be a bit challenging, and want a pretty good wave!  It could very well need a better surfer! Please excuse the pictures, I took them on-the-fly cuz I was very excited. Still wanted to share with everyone! 

There is very little info about Surf Systems online. It sure would be great to learn a little more about this mind-bendingly appealing board. Somehow, I have a feeling Mr. Bill Thrailkill may have some insight…     Either way, enjoy, everybody. It’s a cool board.

Again, sorry for the poor quality of the pics, but check it out. This shit is SICK!

That is a 1969 board, which originally had a 2nd generation Fins Unlimited box.       That particular board was shaped by Richard Templin.     The number is not in my handwriting.      That is a model we called the  Dart II.      Original retail sale price was $135.00 dollars.

Thanks for the very specific info! I read that you had the Surf Systems shop in that era. I have always liked the visual appeal of these shapes. A friend of mine has a Hobie “Positive Force” that is very similar, but a little less refined. I have seen incarnations of these hulls (it seems quite a few lately), but this one has a particularly trimmed down, lean feel and look. I was delighted to find it in such good condition. The guy that sold it to me was cool as hell, said it had previously belonged to is buddy’s dad. I figure at $135 new, it was worth my 50 bucks! 

Thanks again for the specifics, it is a great bonus to my already ramped-up stoke. I would have private messaged, but I didnt want to be presumptuous (!), and I thought the other folks might enjoy the board/story.  I’m gonna fix some dings and see if I can ride it!!!

PS- The quality of the original glass job must have been premier. It has obviously been surfed alot, and is still as sound as could be!

sweet

Seeing the photo’s of the board, has triggered a desire to recreate that template.      That template is as relevent today, as it was, nearly a half century ago.     Anybody want one?

Currently on craigslist there is an 80s looking Surf Systems East board for sale. Is this the same Surf Systems brand?

I agree. It is a timeless outline. This one is 7’ (no dimensions scrawled), about 22" wide, probably 3" thick, (but not up forward). I would be happy to jot down some dims if you would like, or provide better photos. To me, it is an unusual shape, particularly in the “thickness flow” or foil department. Thought maybe I would map this by the foot… Anyway, if there is anything I can send along, please let me know. I’m sure there are elements that are in need of upgrade or "outdated, but a baseline is always fun and interesting.

PS- rails are SUPER knifey… I will measue them with the “curve reader” thingy, and share the results. 

I agree. It is a timeless outline. This one is 7’ (no dimensions scrawled), about 22" wide, probably 3" thick, (but not up forward). I would be happy to jot down some dims if you would like, or provide better photos. To me, it is an unusual shape, particularly in the “thickness flow” or foil department. Thought maybe I would map this by the foot… Anyway, if there is anything I can send along, please let me know. I’m sure there are elements that are in need of upgrade or "outdated, but a baseline is always fun and interesting.

PS- rails are SUPER knifey… I will measue them with the “curve reader” thingy, and share the results. 

ABSOLUTELY NOT !    

People that pirate surfboard brand names, are lower than dog shit.       No talent assholes.      IMO.

Interesting, was there a problem of surf brand pirates back in the 80s? Here’s the board in question.

Yes, there certainly was.    

Proof of it being the photo, of that POS shortboard.   

Surf Systems East?    East?    Really?

The (REAL) brand was tested and proven in the best breaks in California, and both South Shore, and North Shore of Hawaii.

Wow, I always thought pirating was more of a recent thing. Leave it to thrailkill to provide the real truth. Thanks. And as always, you should write a book.