Paint for spray gun - UK

Hi all, I want some black paint to spray with air gun on a new board I am doing. I am in UK. I have tried various  search terms and all I can get is aerosol cans, and occasionally tubes of acrylic  “art” paints. If anyone knows where to buy paint in a friggin POT for a spray gun instead of a can, please drop me a link! I have been here before about a year ago, gave up and used spray cans. I really want a nice finish and have a Sata gun here sat doing nothing!

Thanks

Find your nearest auto paint supplier, they will have what you need.

Auto paint, acrylic laquer.

Thanks but that doesn’t help much for me in the UK. I have googled every car spray paint place near me and they all offer spraying services and none sell paints. I have searched every phrase I can think of (sprayable car paint, acrylic spray paint, paint for spray gun…) on every single site I can think of (Amazon, Ebay, Google…) and all I can find is either aerosol cans or brush on art paints etc. Keep thinking I just haven’t found the right keyword for my searches yet, it’s weird. I just want pots of paint which can go through air gun, water based acrylic. Maybe car isn’t the way to go here in UK, maybe art / poster paints would be better. I just thought the car paint prices would be better!

When you find out the price of auto paint you wont want to buy it anyway  , you can spray house paint .

exterior masonry paint or interior emulsion type stuff?

Any flat interior house paint will work fine.  If it is going on foam as in spraying a blank before glass.  Key word ;  Flat!  No Semi-Gloss or anything shiny.  I prefer Interior because it contains less Acrylic.  The 100% Acrylic Exterior paints could result in delam.  The laminated cloth doesn’t adhere as well as it does to a dead flat interior paint with less acrylic in it.  Strain and thin as necessary.  Use multiple coats to get the desired coverage.  Poster paints like you used in Kindie work as well.  Dead Flat.  The best red  I ever used was Tempra Poster Paint from Walmart.  Of course I realize that you may not have a WallyWorld in the Kingdom.  I am also assuming you are using a Cup Gun and Compressor.

Thanks very much. not sure what a cup gun is but I think so yes, Sata spray gun with 100ml pot on the top.

Flat is the watch word, gotcha, thanks! Will find something similar to your WallyWorld special hopefully!

That would be a “Cup Gun”.

If it’s going on foam before glass, water-based artist’s acrylics are fine.  If it’s going on a finished glassed board, automotive urethane paint is the way to go.  Pricey? Yes, but if you want durability that’s the way to go.  All those auto body shops are getting their paint from someone.  I don’t know what paint brands are used in UK, but you are looking for an automotive paint distributor.   In the states, PPG automotive paints are one of the better brands.  I would search for a PPG automotive distributor.  DuPont Imron is another high-end urethane, generally pricier than PPG.  Any Imron distributor will be pretty high-end.  Best wishes.  

cool. yup then

Sorry I should have said, yes this is just for direct to foam under the lam. I won’t ever spray over hot coat as I prefer tinting the resin but my son wants this board with black sprayed rails so needs must this time. We get DuPont stuff here so will give that a shot. I also noticed U-Pol (the lacquer I have used based on comments here) also do black matt spray paints. Was going to try that but may wait and look for poster flat stuff as McDing said.

Thanks guys

Howzit Helter,

Just to be clear, you don’t need DuPont if you’re spraying on foam.  In fact, if it’s EPS, the paint would attack it.  Black artist’s acrylics are fine.  Just put it on in thin passes, not too wet.  Sata is a very good gun if kept clean.  We’ve got one here I’d love to rehab one day.

Thanks, duh I also failed to mentioned its PUPE.

Sata - yeah I got a bargain on ebay, and being a bargain, it also needs some rehab! But it works, just has a slight leak on the seal so some air escapes but other than that it’s a cracker, nice old one when stuff was made proper!

PS - I bought an ultrasonic cleaner (big one for engine carbs) and found that’s a friggin good way to clean spray guns after use, drop em in hot water in the cleaner with a few drops of washing liquid, the waves get inside all the jets and tight spaces. Then comes the wife’s jewellery :slight_smile:

cheers

If you are just going to paint the rails you wont get any better results with a spray gun than you would with a can of Montana Gold black paint , its not the paint its the painter .

Probably true but I am sick of throwing away cans, have had several with crap nozzles (spitting or failing), several cans with not enough gas to dispense all the paint, and I have a lovely spray gun sat doing nothing so it makes sense to use it.

“its not the paint its the painter” - Much truth in that but not true as an absolute statement. Perhaps better said as “it’s not all about the paint, it’s more about the painter”. A good painter chooses his materials and tools carefully too.

for just rails paint i use 18mm masking tape both sides and i paint with large posca pens and/or small foam roller and flat acrylique from artist or children stores.

Thanks. Posca sounds more expensive but I bet they look good. Actually I have seen your boards and I know they do. Thanks