Paint under Gloss.

I know a sanded hotcoat can be painted or airbrushed before the gloss is applied.  What paint is used for this and what is the process?  Poliester.

I have heard of people using Posca Paint pens (water based) on the sanded hotcoat for pinlines. But if large areas of the sanded hotcoat were painted using these pens I wonder if it would effect the adhesion of the gloss?  

Any water based acrylic paint should work. I’ve used everything from cheap dollar acrylics in a spray gun to expensive stuff from a tube. 

If you can paint your board with it, it should be good to use. 

I have never sealed my paint before glossing and never had any problems.  It’s super easy to sand thru though so keep that in mind. 

I have never had any bonding issues but I would assume a layer of paint in between the resin layers doesn’t make for an ideal situation.

All this being said I havnt used paint on a board with the exception of pinlines for quite some time. I simply don’t like the look and prefer colored resin. 

I’m sure others will chime in with info, probably better info too.

Yes any acrylic(water based) paint.  I almost neveruse  expensive paint like most do around here(Sways).  I buy most of mine at Home Depot.  Flat acrylic paint.  I haven’t painted the Hotcoat in a long time.  People used to do it alot in the 80’–90’s with the Longboard resurgence.  Mostly panels.  Flats are not as easy to burn thru.  The danger being a burn thro on the wet and dry/polish.  Which is almost impossible to touch up unseen.  Lowel

Yeah, flat acrylic paint works just fine. Just don’t get it on too thick. Done it several times over the years.

Half a cap of wax of sytrene is oftern used in the gloss resin .to avoid seperation issues over spray work, pinlines…works wonders . Very light sand over pinlines with some 800 to take the edge off helps too…