Painting my blank

…hello,

basics are: 9 2 * 22 3/8 * 2 7/8; designed to be a “small” board for a big customer to ride large waves

When a board hits the Blueish green canvas of the ocean, White just looks so clean and crisp.

When a board is hung on a rack or looking to stick out in a shop colors seem to pop. 

If i am not mistaken PU blanks will be damaged by most painting chemicals thus water based products should be the safest.

For newbies it is important to remember you are probably not the first to try or ask the questions.  But, for the more experienced professionals it is equally important to acknowledge the learning process and how hard it is without the help of a trained professional.

Location matters....

Aussies are talking about paints that were outlawed in California years ago.........

people get mad when I ask for location.......

Water based paints....light coats...buy a small spray gun and an Air Brush....Learn to spray by painting cardboard and other trash.....

[quote="$1"]

...hello,

basics are: 9 2 * 22 3/8 * 2 7/8; designed to be a "small" board for a big customer to ride large waves

[/quote]

Something like that in a 8'6" would be perfect!  

Kokua, Thanks I will get in touch with Nova.  I currently live in Fla. I really need to get out of this place.  Maybe Costa Rica or some Caribbean Island.

That is a beautiful fish!

Huck, I agree, that is a really nice spray, and if you look closely I think you can see his inspiration, and hope its a mushroom.

…hello,

thanks

incredible, but today I found the owner in the street and told me that is selling the board because is too lazy to use it and prefer a 7 4  egg that I made for him…

-Ghettorat,

I see, ha ha, no that was only a leaf.

I tell ya what inspired me in that case: old sun umbrellas

huie… good tip. I’ve only ever used a high quality acrylic flat housepaint and had great results. I’ve also had good success mixing that same paint with 15% straight acrylic additive, then thinned with water just enough to get it through a gun. Colors stayed bright for years.

Howzit artz, Nova has a website and I think it is novapaints.combut if not just google the name. Aloha,Kokua

Hi. I want to paint a foam blank as an outdoor sign up at our cabin. I will put it in the shed when not in use. Do I first need to use drywall/spackle before I paint the foam? And then I can seal it, correct? And, if it is just for a sign, do I need to get it fiberglassed?

Are you useing eps or poly blankIf you are useing a poly blank then no sealer required. For eps then depending on the blank you may have to seal it. Ask then you purchase the blank. Another way to go is to paint over the glass then seal it with Clear acrylic sealer.

I use latex acrylic house paint for large areas on a blank. Artists acrylic for the lettering / graphics. I can use this on the blank, and also on the fiberglass, then glass another layer over.

This board was glassed with a few layers of glass, with painting on each layer except the last.

Fiberglassing strengthens it and protects from the weather, so yes, i would say glass it.