painting under gloss coat?

Hello… I would like to do some painting and line work under the gloss coat (ive already hot coated)…

Any paints or inks that will work (no spreading, dissolving etc…)?

Bad idea?

Thank you.

Obviously you’ll need to lightly sand and either posca pens or acryllics through an air gun. Individual spray cans are available from art stores but are pricey. I’ve found anything oil or petro based can bleed and eat away at the resin. You may want to just go with sanded finish and 2 to 3 coats of clear coat acryllic vs gloss resin. I also see no reason if your doing pinlines or rail wraps to just use resin with tint. Good luck either way and post up when done. Later…

Not too thick on the paint,easy on the rubbout.Herb

Go to Harbour Surfboards website. They have a good short video of their pinline guy doing hotcoat pinlines.

I always do pinlines on the hotcoat. They come out very clean. My advice is to lightly sand them before the gloss to knock down any edge ridges (if you use acrylic paint directly from the tube) and be careful when you sand and polish so you don’t sand into the line. Doug

I have a similar dilemma and wondered if anyone knows of a particular brand of acrylic paint which will bond well enough to do a nice white pin line and lightning bolt (quite large). I am not too worried about pin line bonding issues as it’s such a thin line, but the bolt would be a problem if I have any bonding issues, since its right in middle of the deck!

I have used various acrylic paints before, but honestly prefer pigmented resin. However for a large lightning bolt as well as pin lines, I am a bit worried about the bump/weight issue with resin.

Votes for resin v paint? Anyone know of brands of rattle cans they use successful under hotcoat/gloss coat without bond issues?

thanks

I used a matte rattle can (Rustoleum i think) on a board and that worked good enough. However, I was anxious the whole time about its durability (still am). I glassed it over with poly.

The second board I did the same thing. As my gloss coat layed evenly over the board I witnessed the paint break up into geometric shapes, peeling and rippling off the board. I’m currently still working on that board now. After sanding the entire bottom clean of the rattle can, I glassed with pigmented resin and that seems to be fine. 

I will never do a rattle can again unless it’s a personal board, and even then, only if I hate the board with a passion. 

“only if I hate the board with a passion” - hahahaha.

Right, that probably settles it then. Thanks very much for chiming in. I have used paint on a board before, but I totally hated that one (before restoring it) and dont give a damn, besides it is only to hang on the wall, wont be taken in the water.

I wonder if I can get an opaque white lightning bolt over a very dark lamination, without creating a mountain to gloss over! Here goes nothing. Thanks

Helter, 

The surf gods will punish you, if you don’t do it the ‘‘old fashioned way’’, USE PIGMENTED RESIN !      

Oh and PS - maybe (if you ever do it again), using a clear lacquer over the paint before the gloss coat (scotchbrite to rough it up) might work better, sealing the paint so it doesn’t react with the gloss? Just an idea, I could be wrong, but I THINK the lacquer agrees with resin more than pure paint. Far from an expert so don’t take that as advice, just a thought.

Gods? There is only one God, he has just spoken, and he still needs to write a book!

Thanks Bill, as always

you can use the montana gold spray cans. it is just acrylic paint in a spray can. you can also use this direct on a PU blank instead of airbrushing.