Partial balsa deck to strengthen low density EPS

Hi.

So first off that bit of waffle that I always feel the need to do… I’ve mentioned before that I’ve made a hollow wood SUP then a hollow wood surfboard. My main surf SUP is waiting for me to tackle the leash point as I previously posted. I like to make! I make many things in varied forms and feel it’s reasonable to class myself as competent, not totally incompetent! (A jack of all, master of none?)

My latest pondering is around making another board.

I have had a stringer cut out of thick birch ply for years.

I have a plan to use the dreaded DIY store EPS (sorry!) as I have some free. ‘Real’ foam just isn’t a viable plan before anyone suggests it.

I have limited digital design skills to draw up a hollow wood board to print templates so feel that foam will give that freedom to shape.

My big question is around improving the deck dent resistance of the foam. I had thought at first that adding multiple layers of glass would be the way to go. I then remembered that I’ve been saving up some thin sections of balsa. I wondered if putting some panels down as a semi-full deck could work to spread the point loading. I then wondered if this could actually produce a stress riser at the front and back of the deck making it more likely to buckle or if the stringer would combat that.

I got to reading on compsand (composite sandwich?) and think(!) that they are all stringerless?

So, totally bonkers?
(Probably!)

Compsand is “full-deck” veneer.
Patrtial deck veneer my cause “hinging” with low density/“low compressive strength” EPS.
Board buckling results from compressive failure.
Wood has good compressive strength.
Cork has good impact absorption (impact dispersal).
Cork sheet under wood veneer deck might work.
You will need a vent to prevent delam when internal gas of low density EPS expands in the heat.

I like the cork idea!

I might try some on a test block to see how it changes it as I have a leftover roll of cork from previous boards.

Reported by a cork product manufacturer, “(Cork can be) compressed to 15% of their normal volume and then regain most or all of its size and shape slowly.”

For veneer, do you consider surfboard veneer to be the same thickness as furniture veneer?

I have some cracking ash veneer with a great chatoyance that I had been thinking to make a light shade from but I would consider using it on a board…

I believe Greg Loehr used furniture thickness wood veneer. Check the Compsand WMD videos. They should say.
Do some testing with a piece the veneer over cork with FG over or FG over and under. I would think the combo of furniture veneer, cork and FG should be pretty tough.

Did a test piece of foam with cork and glass. Never have tried wood veneer.
I would bond cork directlty to the foam or do glass to foam with cork over the glass. Once that is bonded, I would bond the veneer to the cork.
Edit:
Now that I think about it, my test was bonding FG to a piece of foam first. Followed by bonding cork to FG (was a very tough combined skin). Next step was to laminate FG over the cork (test didn’t get that far — back burnered it for another project)…

I build in compsand and have also used veneer deck inlay on eps. If your blank has a stringer, I would think the risk of creating fracture zone would be greatly reduced if not eliminated. Of concern would be if the the thickness of the wood. I use 1/8” on comp boards with no stringer, but I do a full deck skin that is also bonded to the wooden rail structure. There is no stringer down the center. On regular eps with a stringer I often use a bamboo veneer that is paper backed. It lays flat enough that I don’t need to carve out any deck foam to get it flush, just feather the edges a bit. Have ridden the heck out of them. They have great dent resistance, not much heavier than a regular glass job, and look cool with a pin line around them.

What density EPS do you use?
Regarding hinging see first 20 seconds of this video:

Both of these are about 1/8” thick, glass under and over. The first pic is paulownia, the other is balsa. Zero problems. The white board is a few years old. The blue board is 10 years old, but I recently added the balsa because the deck was getting mashed.

I suspect your foam is much denser than the OP’s HD/Lowes standard low-density EPS.

Good point. I should have added “your mileage may vary”. I think it would be ok but couldn’t guarantee it.

Without a doubt this is lower density stuff!

Interesting to see those patches Huck. They look good too.