paul- simmons foam sandwich

Paul, Thanks for the post. Is this yours? It looks identitcal to one a friend was restoring last year in Oxnard and I’m wondering if it’s the same board. There aren’t many left and it’s a real treat to see one up close. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the wood was steamed, then shaped around the foam (?)

…Nice to see and hear about the old I.B. days.Dempsey Holder use to tell me stories about Bob(Simmons,not my bro,Bob Spitzer).Dempsey said that Bob was the original modern surfboard builder and that we all could have learned a thing or two hundred from him,I miss Dempsey.Herb

Paul, Thanks for the post. Is this yours? It looks identitcal to one a > friend was restoring last year in Oxnard and I’m wondering if it’s the > same board. There aren’t many left and it’s a real treat to see one up > close. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the wood was steamed, then > shaped around the foam (?) Hi Gregg, I don’t know who’s board it is. Greg Liddle sent me the picture. I’m guessing the shot is around 15 years old. I’m not sure about the constuction technique. I’ll ask John Elwell, and post his response. He’s a fountain of great info!

Hi Gregg,>>> I don’t know who’s board it is. Greg Liddle sent me the picture. I’m > guessing the shot is around 15 years old.>>> I’m not sure about the constuction technique. I’ll ask John Elwell, and > post his response. He’s a fountain of great info! Greg Liddle is cool…I like his boards! I wish he would return my email though [frown] Why doesnt anyone try using epoxy around poly foam(sandwich)

Greg has been out with a badly broken ankel.I am sure this is slowing him down.

Greg Liddle is cool…I like his boards! I wish he would return my email > though [frown] Why doesnt anyone try using epoxy around poly foam(sandwich) hey Sling- Greg has been having problems (off and on) with his e-mail.I sent him a couple,as did a friend, and he claimed they never got through to him.(and I know Greg wouldn’t bs about that)Also, he has sustained a rather severe leg/ankle injury which has kept him out,MIA so to speak.He is making a quick, full recovery and should be attending to business as usual real soon, so keep trying and be patient!

Greg has been out with a badly broken ankel.I am sure this is slowing him > down. shouldn’t you be at work??

For sale: 6’ 10" Liddle Surfboard. Displacement hull. Damon model. 2 plus 1 fin set-up. All fins included. Volan cloth. This board has never been waxed. Bidding starts at $2000.00. Anyone interested send an e-mail with MT in the subject line to . Spence>>> Greg Liddle is cool…I like his boards! I wish he would return my email > though [frown] Why doesnt anyone try using epoxy around poly foam(sandwich)

Why doesnt anyone try using epoxy around poly foam(sandwich)? One of the posters here had this done on a couple of boards during the '90’s. The epoxy glass job shrank over time, and the blank started to collapse.

I’m not sure about the constuction technique. I’ll ask John Elwell, and > post his response. He’s a fountain of great info! Paul… You are talking about the very thin veneers Bob used on top and the bottom. I don’t know if they were steamed. I do know that Bob knew how and did make his own very thin veneers. Some of his boomerang blanks were really radically steamed bent into triangles. John

For sale: 6’ 10" Liddle Surfboard. Displacement hull. Damon model. 2 > plus 1 fin set-up. All fins included. Volan cloth. This board has never > been waxed.>>> Bidding starts at $2000.00.>>> Anyone interested send an e-mail with MT in the subject line to > .>>> Spence This board was one of the last batch of boards Greg made before leaving for Kauai. It’s pretty much a blow-up of a Greenough kneeboard template. 17.5" x 22" +5" x 15.5" (or very close to those numbers), with a nice, broad squash tail. The 1 plus 2 fin arrangement was needed to handle the slightly wider tail design. The fins all have soft flex. The “Damon model” moniker refers to Greg’s son, who instigated that design.

This board was one of the last batch of boards Greg made before leaving > for Kauai. It’s pretty much a blow-up of a Greenough kneeboard template. > 17.5" x 22" +5" x 15.5" (or very close to those > numbers), with a nice, broad squash tail. The 1 plus 2 fin arrangement was > needed to handle the slightly wider tail design. The fins all have soft > flex. The “Damon model” moniker refers to Greg’s son, who > instigated that design. hey spence, any way you can post a picture of this board?

No images available. This board was the beginning of the end of my surfshop. It was also the end of the beginning of my shaping education. Check the image of one of Greg Liddle’s boards below. The board in question has a narrower nose and a wider tail. Pull the nose 1 inch, widen the tail 1 inch and you have it. x-4000 serial number 6’10" x 17 1/2" x 21 3/4" x 15 1/2" x 3 3/16" thick “for Damon Liddle 8/90” 1/8" redwood stringer Supergreen blank Single 6oz volan bottom, double 6 oz. volan deck s-deck, neutral rails feeding into a hard edge in the last 12".

No images available. This board was the beginning of the end of my > surfshop. It was also the end of the beginning of my shaping education. > Check the image of one of Greg Liddle’s boards below. The board in > question has a narrower nose and a wider tail. Pull the nose 1 inch, widen > the tail 1 inch and you have it.>>> x-4000 serial number>>> 6’10" x 17 1/2" x 21 3/4" x 15 1/2" x 3 3/16" > thick>>> “for Damon Liddle 8/90”>>> 1/8" redwood stringer>>> Supergreen blank>>> Single 6oz volan bottom, double 6 oz. volan deck>>> s-deck, neutral rails feeding into a hard edge in the last 12". thanks for the info and picture spence, looks like a great board.

It’s a classic Liddle, RG. Just beautiful.

No images available. This board was the beginning of the end of my > surfshop. It was also the end of the beginning of my shaping education. Uh, between those comments and the asking price of the board, sounds like a very interesting story…care to share? It’s going to be a long, tragic, hideous weekend given world events and I’d much rather think about surfing when I’m not indulging.

Uh, between those comments and the asking price of the board, sounds like > a very interesting story…care to share? It’s going to be a long, tragic, > hideous weekend given world events and I’d much rather think about surfing > when I’m not indulging. I bought he board from Damon several years ago-unsurfed, unwaxed,still in a boardbag.( it was so new it was still curing, giving off that good ol’ resin smell)I bought it for two reasons: 1.just to have it to look at-it really is beautiful-2.Damon was going to school up in Santa Cruz and needed the $$$.When I bought it I told him I wouldn’t surf it and that he could get it back anytime.(he never did.instead he moved to the islands)a few years went by(it remained unwaxed, unsurfed)when I turned it over to Spence.I believe I traded it in for a new board.Anyway, Spence has had it ever since and it remains in perfect, pristine condition and unwaxed and unsurfed.A beautiful and significant board for sure.

Greg Liddle is cool…I like his boards! I wish he would return my email > though [frown] Why doesnt anyone try using epoxy around poly foam(sandwich) My e-mail address. Greg

Greg Liddle is cool…I like his boards! I wish he would return my email > though [frown] Why doesnt anyone try using epoxy around poly foam(sandwich) My e-mail address. Greg is