pencil lines///

i am doing a resin tinted lam. on my next board. to lay down the tape lines i was going to use a rail line tool with a soft pencil. then follow those lines with the tape. is there a good way to remove the lines? or a better method for drawing them?

i am doing a resin tinted lam. on my next board. to lay down the tape > lines i was going to use a rail line tool with a soft pencil. then follow > those lines with the tape. is there a good way to remove the lines? or a > better method for drawing them? Blow them off with a compressor…they’ll leave a little groove or dent but the black stuff will be gone…

pinlines hide pencil lines very well. I’ve used a tooth pick to scratch a very light line into the foam. don’t go deep or you’ll see it.

the real craftsman put the tape down by eyeballing & don’t use a pencil at all. Much practice to do it like that!!

you could always use a color pencil the color laps you are using or just take the eraser end of your pencil and draw your line out that way.

what do you use to get such even pinlines? i really wanna try some of those. they make a board look so much more professional thanks austin

You can always get some automotive pinstripe tape and stripe your board. When you’ve got it looking the way you want, you mask off both sides of the tape. Rub the masking tape with the edge of a razor blade to insure the edge of the tade is stuck to the board good. Now remove the automotive pin tape and you have a pinline ready to paint or resin. Hey…where’s cleanlines been? He showed me that trick and it improved my pinlines a lot. After you do it this way a few times then it gets easier to just tape by eye.

i am doing a resin tinted lam. on my next board. to lay down the tape > lines i was going to use a rail line tool with a soft pencil. then follow > those lines with the tape. is there a good way to remove the lines? or a > better method for drawing them? A method that I wound up with to lose pesky pencil marks on foam is to tape off the lines at the approximate locations, then run the pencil lines on the tape with a marking guage, then trim the tape to the pencil line with a razor knife. This method has yielded some good results, as you can freehand trim the tape as accurate as you can freehand trim the glass. I’m going to play around with coming up with a cutting guage to trim the tape, then after laminating, use the same guage (slightly reset outside of the tape line) to trim the glass. Good luck with your board. I love resin tints.

If your not pinlining your cut edge I’ve found that a knitting needle leaves a tiny depression in the foam that you can follow easily and can’t be seen when your done.It also fits into my rail tool…

what’s the best tool to use for cutting the lap? single edge? pen knife?

I’ve seen a block with a spacer and single edge blade attached to the side (like marker tool described.) You lay down a strip of tape, run the cutter over it to establish your trim line. Add some tape (and masking paper) to the inside. Laminate. Run your block with the blade over your lap and if you’ve held the block at the same angle, you should have a clean trim right at the tape line. It’s a good idea to tape the block to keep dirt off the edge of your lamination