PERFECT RAZOR EDGE ON HAND PLANES

You can review the complete five part series on sharpening hand planes by clicking on the “Resources” page, as Michael Paler has posted it as a new “article” in a two part series with photos. Thanks, and I hope it helps you out. Let me know if you have questions.

Richard McCormick

Thanks again for such a great contribution.

The true Swaylocks spirit.

Thanks Richard, now I know what those strips of sandpaper glued to slab of glass in my late fathers workshop were for!

Does this technique work for other things like flat chisles and lathe tools

I’ve inhereted a huge array of handtool, powertools, lathes etc etc. My father was a boatbuilder, shipwright, rigger and woodturner.

I now want to take it up where he left off.

Swordie,

Yes, I use this method for my chisels. You can also use the method for your lathe tools, though most people who use lathe tools to “scrape” the wood as it spins don’t want as fine an edge nor a secondary bezel on them since they are held up against quickly rotating stock and a fine edge will not last anyway. A super fine edge is great for carefully slicing wood by hand, but is much too brittle and thin for revolving in a high speed machine where they will quickly become damaged. Because power tools run blades at a high rpm, I have planer, jointer, and saw blades done by a sharpening service.

It is indeed a rare gift and an honor to be handed down tools from another, especially your father. As you know, you now have the opportunity and responsibility to perpetuate his craft and continue his legacy as you create your own with the very tools that were once held within his hands. I don’t know where you are in your path of learning woodworking, but if you are serious about truly learning there is a sea of information out there. Subscribe to “Fine Woodworking” magazine and read every book you can find. James Krenov’s “The Art of Cabinetmaking” and “A Cabinetmaker’s Notebook” have launched many down the path of woodworking. Seek your own niche and pursue perfection with passion and a reverence for the wood.

Seek an older mentor who might take you under his wing. About 30 years ago I was blessed to find a gentlemen who was then in his mid 70s who “adopted” me. I spent every spare moment in his shop watching, asking, and learning. He is long since passed away, but one day just before he died, he called me to let me know he no longer needed his tools and wanted me to have them. Now after more than two decades I still think of him daily when I use his tools and a large photo of him polishing the top of a chippendale style lowboy hangs proudly in my shop.

His motto: “If you’re going to sign your name to a piece that you craft, it should be worthy of those for whom you are named.”

One of the beautiful things about surfing is that it brings all of us together no matter what our particular interests and backgrounds are beyond the water. I’m glad to hear that you have your Dad’s tools, you’re interested in woodworking, and hope my sharpening method helps. ENJOY THE RIDE!

thanks for the knowledge

Much aprpeciated

Drew

Thanks Richard!! That is great info. The true spirit of Swaylocks…

To make it easier to find the direct links are:

Part 1: http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=1060

Part 2: http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=1059

Kind Regards,

Matt.

Richard,

I just gave it a try tonight and can’t believe how easy it was to get my blades so sharp in such little time, and with such little effort. They literally ‘can’ shave the hair off my arm.

Thanks!

Herb Bean

Richard…some one posted that info on here awhile back. (Scary Sharp)http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=146242;search_string=scary%20sharp;#146242 . a year or so ago…was that you? well anyway I have been using that technic ever since.works great. I have no hairs on part of my hand due to testing the sharpness of my blades.

Thanks.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=146242;search_string=scary%20sharp;#146242

http://woodbutcher.net/scary.htm

Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to post that. I’ve finally gotten a trully sharp edge on my planes and chisels (even some of my old framing chisels that have been used as screw drivers, pry bars, ect.)

Richard, bravo for the words of being proud enough of thoses that went before you, before signing your name to a piece.

I at times stop and turn heavenward and adress my father, “dad is this good enough, am I making you proud?”.

I had a shaper drop by my room last weekend, he asked me if I used the sander much on my boards. He then saw the Surfboards Hawaii Model A blanks off KKL and asked if I did ALL my boards off the machine. His ending comment was, he did all the work on his boards with the sander, including putting in the rail bands. I cut him off by telling him I was one of the worlds best and I would still be shaping long after he was forgotten, no pride in junk

Shipman,

I didn’t write and missed reading the sharp post last Feb. you mentioned. I have however, read similar articles in magazines and elsewhere in recent years and know it has become a more accepted method of sharpening. Some of the short summaries and articles I’ve read on the subject address it in such a condensed way that I feel they leave perhaps more questions than answers. So, that was my reason to write such a long novel, trying my best to convey the full deal - so that hopefully someone willing to try it out could actually get the full picture. I’m really happy it has produced good results for you guys who have responded stating you’ve achieved sharp blades.

Jim the G…I’d say your Dad would smile. I detect a lot of you guys out there do terrific work and take pride in craftsmanship. We can all learn much from each other, as I know I’ve learned a lot from many of you guys. Thanks, and stay on it!

I can’t seem to find the article in the resources section on sharpening. Can someone tell me where it is and how do I get there?

Aloha Surfifty,

I just made a new post on sharpening plane blades. You’ll find the info there. Hope it helps you.

Richard

Jim & all:

I consider myself lucky that my dad is still around at 87 (he just

quit surfing last year as he complained it was getting too crowded

at his local spot, a boat-in for most in north SB) but he always said that I

had his fathers genes when it came to hand skills which I thought

was the best compliment he could have given me.

He always embraced the new tech as well as his father did (my grandpa).

His famous saying was “a craftsman always knows his craft” never excluded

modern tools. My grandfather loved modern electric power tools that made

his job so much easier so he could spend more time on “the details”.

Anyway, does anybody out there have any feedback on the Tormek 7?

For those of you who don’t subscribe to Wood or Woodworker, the Tormek

is the best rated sharpener for edged tools out there. I’m thinking about

buying one, and wanted some feedback from shapers who sharpen their

planers, etc on a Tormek. Feedback please?

compares the knock-off Jet to the tormek

http://www.joewoodworker.com/tormek.htm

This thread has been bumped up for all to read, and put to good use.      Read from the beginning.        Also search his other threads.       Priceless info.

Thank you Bill. 

all the best 

Wonder how Richard’s doing over there on Maui and if he still is?   Those 4-way stones that Harbor Freight sell are great too.

The links come up;   “page not found”

Not only are the links 404, but I can’t even find the “Resources” page.  WTF, am I that old?  (Probably, but that’s another subject).  Scary Sharp has been around so long that maybe it was copyrighted and had to be removed.  It does use a lot of wet-dry sandpaper, though, and at a buck a sheet or more, it may not be the best for all.